Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Solar charger for 1 deep cycle battery
bobrok
# Posted: 27 Jun 2018 14:16

I'm considering buying one of these to maintain my deep cycle battery used to power the demand pump at camp rather than carting it home each time to put onto a charger/maintainer.
This is representative of the models I'm looking at.
Does anyone use something like this? Experiences? Recommendations?
Thank you.
Solar charger
Solar charger

razmichael
# Posted: 27 Jun 2018 15:23

This is a trickle charger - at 6 watts (and that is the max) it will have a hard time recharging (hence it does not come with a charge controller). Really, you need to do some analysis - capacity of battery, how much you use it during a stay and how long it has to recharge between stays - thus, given the amount of sun you expect, you might have a better idea of panel size needed. I recently picked up two sets of 45w panels (two charge controllers) for about $80cnd each on sale. Did some wiring to allow both or one to be used to recharge the kids deep cycle trolling motor battery. They tend to use the trolling motor in large spurts but lots of time in-between. You likely are better to look for something with a little more output and a small charge controller.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 27 Jun 2018 15:52 - Edited by: toyota_mdt_tech

I bought a "Battery Tender" in 5 watt solar to maintain my Kawasaki Mule battery. They also have them in 10 and 15 watts. Its a solar maintainer. Amazon it. I also picked up a USB adapter for it to so I can charge cell phones.

5 watt
https://www.batterystuff.com/solar-chargers/5-10-watts/12-volt-solar-panels/021-1163. html

10 watt
https://www.autogeek.net/10-watt-solar-charger.html

15 watts
https://www.autogeek.net/15-watt-solar-charger.html

bobrok
# Posted: 27 Jun 2018 15:55

Quoting: razmichael
This is a trickle charger - at 6 watts (and that is the max) it will have a hard time recharging (hence it does not come with a charge controller). Really, you need to do some analysis - capacity of battery, how much you use it during a stay and how long it has to recharge between stays - thus, given the amount of sun you expect, you might have a better idea of panel size needed. I recently picked up two sets of 45w panels (two charge controllers) for about $80cnd each on sale. Did some wiring to allow both or one to be used to recharge the kids deep cycle trolling motor battery. They tend to use the trolling motor in large spurts but lots of time in-between. You likely are better to look for something with a little more output and a small charge controller.

Thanks for this input. Actually, not wanting to get too technical in my OP I left out information that in hindsight I probably shouldn't have.

The battery is rated at 140 amps reserve capacity. We keep it on a Schumacher SEM-1652A charger/maintainer while at home that puts out 1.5 amps.

Our camp stays can be up to 2 weeks separated by weeks in between visits. When we return home (as we just did) the battery takes about 2 days to regain the green light charge. This is our typical usage and recharge cycle.

I realize that I should buy a more powerful unit, but that photo was readily available and it served as an example.

Am I correctly calculating my Schumacher charger output as 18 watts?

I've found this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0722XB3VQ/?coliid=I3K28PEGQCNS0Q&colid=FX1T7ETZAR3Y&psc=0& ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it rated as such although the specs do not say if it has a built-in controller.

This one https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PFGP0EA/?coliid=I3D9T61AX31ALX&colid=FX1T7ETZAR3Y&psc=0& ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it is rated at 10 watts, has a separate charge controller but states it is not fully waterproof.

These are more on the line of what I was wanting to buy.

TY.

Just
# Posted: 27 Jun 2018 17:31

The second one is much better it has a charge controller included that’s all u need . I have a 20 watt panel and 7 amp charge controller it runs the water pump and lights at my hunt camp . With the inclusion of a 10$ 75 watt inverter you could also charge your cell or computer.

razmichael
# Posted: 27 Jun 2018 17:58

Keep in mind that the rating of panels is maximum under perfect conditions and obviously over a small portion of the day (good days) so don't compare this output to the at home charger (which is constant over extended time) - sorry if I'm stating the obvious here. It may take two days at home that could stretch into weeks with a really small panel designed to maintain or provide minimum voltage/amps.

IMO spend a bit more for something that will recharge the battery over a reasonable number of days and could also be used while there for continuously charging the pump battery 9to avoid over dis-charging) and, as Just suggests, charging other things. I just don't think you want anything described as a "maintainer" as you are not maintaining but charging.

bobrok
# Posted: 27 Jun 2018 21:12

Quoting: razmichael

IMO spend a bit more for something that will recharge the battery over a reasonable number of days and could also be used while there for continuously charging the pump battery 9to avoid over dis-charging) and, as Just suggests, charging other things. I just don't think you want anything described as a "maintainer" as you are not maintaining but charging.

Thinking out loud here, and taking your advice, I might be better off to just buy an adequate sized panel and charge controller, and wire my own together. This way I can locate the panel for best exposure and the controller can be in the shed and out of the weather.

What size panel and controller do you recommend assuming it will be used for just the battery?

ICC
# Posted: 27 Jun 2018 21:38

It depends on how much energy is taken out of the battery on a typical days use and how many hours of "good" sun the panel receives. Also if you need to 100% recharge the battery every day. If you only use 10% of the battery in a single day, never stay more than three days, then the panel capacity can be less than if you use 50% every day you use the system.

There are a few solar-calculators available online. You know what your typical use is, or should. Check the rating (amps or watts) for anything the battery powers. Calculate how many amp-hours or watt-hours are used on a typical day. Then find an online solar calculator and see what it recommends for panel wattage.

I could guess and say get a 100-watt panel or a 200-watt panel.... but it is just a guess. A 100-watt panel might give you about 30 AH a day (6 amps x about 5 hours sun)

bobrok
# Posted: 28 Jun 2018 10:33

Apologies for being such a greenhorn when it comes to this. It is why I come here to read and ask.

My Shurflo pump draws 7.5 amps @ 12v.
I would say that a good estimate of our water demands per day is 1 hour (short showers, dishes).
That is 90 watt-hours of use per day. Let's round it up to 100.
Assume 4 hours of sun since we are in NNY.
Do I really need a 100-watt panel?

Just
# Posted: 28 Jun 2018 15:38

That’s it Bob ,as long as you can put in more than you take out you are good to go.I think what the rest are saying is once you have it you may want more ( human nature) .

NorthRick
# Posted: 28 Jun 2018 16:13

Quoting: bobrok
Do I really need a 100-watt panel?

Assuming you can place it so it faces south, without ANY shadows on it for a couple hours either side of noon, and using a cheap PWM charge controller, I think a 75W panel would work.

I can't stress the shadow part enough. You can shade 10% of your panel and loose 90% of its output. That's just the nature of the beast.

ILFE
# Posted: 29 Jun 2018 03:37

Quoting: bobrok
The battery is rated at 140 amps reserve capacity.

Is this a deep cycle battery? Or, an automotive battery?

bobrok
# Posted: 29 Jun 2018 07:36

Quoting: ILFE
Is this a deep cycle battery? Or, an automotive battery?

It is a deep cycle battery from Autocraft.

Just
# Posted: 29 Jun 2018 08:56

The starting and stoping of the surflow pump could double the power you need, Perhaps you could move to a 40 watt panel .Then you have a much better chance of only using the top half of the battery.

cspot
# Posted: 1 Jul 2018 15:44 - Edited by: cspot

Bobrok,

I am in a similar situation as you. Our camp is a recreation use cabin. I have a 50 watt panel and so far it has been working fine. We were just there for 6 days or so and everything worked fine. In addition to the shurflo pump, I also have some 12 volt led lights, fan for composting toilet exhaust, and a charging station that the family (5 of us) use to charge phones and portable DVD Player. We all took showers (military type) every day that we were there. It was cloudy probably at least half of the time and rained 2 of those days. My panel isn't in the most optimum location for getting the most sun. Anyway on the last day my battery was still at 12.2 V.

I haven't had to do it yet, but my plan is to use my generator and a battery charger to bring up the battery if I ever need to. Most of the time we are only there on the weekend so we are barely using any capacity of the battery.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.