Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / lopi or Napoleon woodstove
old greybeard
# Posted: 1 Jul 2018 21:49

looking to replace my 1970's Wonder Warm woodstove. Want a all night burn, and less creosote. And want to use less wood.
Looking at a Lopi Answer, or maybe a Napoleon 1400.
Any opinions on these 2 stoves?
24x28 cabin, 10ft walls, loft.
Are these EPA's stoves slow to heat? Will I burn less wood? Can I burn pine

Greenland South
# Posted: 2 Jul 2018 12:14

Getting rid of the old smoke dragon will make you happy.
I'll comment on your questions in order.

All night burn? This depends entirely on the type of wood you're burning. If you're burning oak, ash, maple or other dense hardwoods, maybe. If you're burning pine or spruce, I doubt it.
Less creosote depends on a few of things. All wood produces creosote. The most important is the moisture content of your wood, the second is how hot you burn your fire, the third is the species.
I have no experience with either stove you're considering.
Buy your stove based on a couple things, square footage of your cabin and the amount of particulate your stove emits. Upcoming regulations may make poor performing stoves difficult to insure. Buy a stove that is slightly undersized. That way you'll be burning your stove hot, rather than it loping along, creating creosote.
EPA stoves heat as well or better than an older one. You will burn less wood. Yes you can burn properly seasoned pine.
Follow the manufacturers instructions for operation and installation, your buddy doesn't know nearly as much as the people who built the stove.
You may find that the other components of your system will require replacing as well. Many manufacturers require that specific chimney and flue pipe components be used. If your chimney is close to or older than 25 years, it should be replaced anyway.
Depending on your level of competence and your ability or willingness to follow directions, you might want to consider hiring a WETT certified installer.

old greybeard
# Posted: 3 Jul 2018 14:25

Thanks, currently burning 2 year old dry maple, with some 30 y/o oak thrown in.
Have plenty of pine and hemlock, might be nice for small burns and nice flames. Overnight I'll use hardwoods. Only getting 4-5 hours out of my old airtight. Be both stoves rated 8 hours, if I get 6-7 loaded with hardwood i'll be thrilled.

NorthRick
# Posted: 3 Jul 2018 15:56 - Edited by: NorthRick

People up here swear by the Blaze King stoves. My neighbor has one and can get an all night burn out of it. Spruce and birch. The only maple, ash, or oak available is in our dreams.

It's a catalytic stove and he doesn't see a lot of creosote build up even with it running on low all night.

rockies
# Posted: 3 Jul 2018 19:46

Why not get a soapstone sided wood stove. The problem with metal wood stoves is that they heat up quick, blast out a ton of dry heat, then quickly go cool. A layer of soapstone will hold the heat for many more hours.

http://www.woodstove.com/ideal-steel-hybrid

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 3 Jul 2018 20:37

In my state, its Quadrafire, Avalon or Lopi's. In my home, I have a Quadrafire Millennium 3100 flat top.

In my cabin, I used a TMT built unit.
1/4" plate steel, all brick lined, holds head for many hours.
woodstove15.jpg
woodstove15.jpg
woodstove20.jpg
woodstove20.jpg

Mtnviewer
# Posted: 6 Jul 2018 18:49 - Edited by: Mtnviewer

Blaze King! All night 8-12+ hours EASILY with pine, spruce softwoods with heat & coals left over. That's 80+% of what I burn in our Canadian winter & about 2-3 cords. I have a 6 cird woodshed that never seems to go below 50%. I NEVER have to get up during the night to add fuel, since using the Blaze King. Nor do I fill it full other than at maybe -25C or colder, usually put in 3 splits, every 12 hours in winter.. Lots of variables to consider but in our cold climate, my BK stove incredibly outperforms every single other option that anyone local has compared it too. I heat a 1200 3 level off grid cabin with stove in the basement & do not use any fans or other heat sources than a few south facing windows at ground level. But my cabin is well insulated but not perfectly efficient either. I also cook on it A LOT or whenever it's burning. It put to shame any Napoleon options available here that I looked at & still see for sale. Just get one & you'll wonder how you did without it.

old greybeard
# Posted: 7 Jul 2018 12:35

Leaning toward the Lopi 1750, a medium sized stove that should be fine for a 1000 sq ft cabin.
We want to use a local dealer, and the only brands he carries are lopi and napoleon. At my age and with my back buying one elsewhere and installing by myself would be difficult.
Which is too bad as this will probably be a 4k install, could do it alot cheaper on my own.

Mtnviewer
# Posted: 8 Jul 2018 20:18

Wow, $4K!!! Insane price unless a lot if double wall pipe required as part of install. Why not look for a used stove online. In our area very good deals often come up on sites like Craigslist, though of course buyer beware. Many people don't like the hassles of wood & sell nearly new stoves. You just need to find / hire help to get it & install it.

Other things I find better about BK stoves or to consider no matter the brand are: DEEP cavity, meaning logs sit 6" or more below the door. Logs never roll out, nor ash, nor hot coals. Also means ash clean out every 2-4 months. BK had great thermostat control. BK is very clean burning when catalytic burner is on & produces significantly more heat & longer burns & reduces logs used. HUGE savings in physical work needed to burn & load & cut for wood heat.My senior, out of shape neighbour, who lives in a shack, now loves his BK, after 10 years of denying to me that it would make a difference when he visited & each time looked at mine. He broke down & bought one, surprising me, as he said he was literally tired of seeing how little my woodshed changed over the winter, compared to how much wood his atred body had to haul, cut & stack. Many cords different. Sounds like a BK Princess size / model would be right for you. Keep a look out online for used newer stoves. Set up a notification for the online sites. dAlso search the forum for past threads.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.