Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Grey water continued
Rickant
# Posted: 11 Jul 2018 18:15

Finally finding time to sort out he grey water situation at the cabin. I dug a new trench to lay the waste pipe to a Barrell. Found the other two old grey water systems while digging. You never know what the people before you did till you find it! Anyway, I am using a 55 gallon Barrell. I had hoped to dig it down 3/4 or more of he height of he Barrell but have come to lots of rock and clay. So,I have two choices - leave the Barrell upright as planned but sticking out the ground more than I'd like, or, flip it on its side in which case it could be mostly buried. Does it really make much of a difference? This will get very low use, cabin is seasonal. Thoughts?

Eddy G
# Posted: 12 Jul 2018 14:50

I'd go sideways. It's not going to do much above the drain line so get as much out of it as you can...

NorthRick
# Posted: 12 Jul 2018 15:02

Sideways. I take it you aren't worried about it freezing?

Rickant
# Posted: 15 Jul 2018 14:12

It's a three season cabin so not worried about freezing. I finished it yesterday. I have a 3" drain running about 20 feet from the cabin to the Barrell, had to be that far to find a decent spot to dig. The Barrell is a 55 gallon food grade Barrell, with a custom made lockable flip top,opening that I bought for 20 bucks ( the entire unit). I drilled holes in the sides and have the drain pipe attached to the side. We put landscape fabric along the dirt, then backfill end with 1-2 inch stones up halfway or so, then slightly larger ones, then fabric, then larger rocks, then fabric, then soil. I would say after backfilling and grading the sides up there is only 5" showing. It's in line with an a code-approved plan I found. The plan has the Barrell stick up with a hatch for clean out. I would have liked the drain to enter higher as it is 2/3 of the way up the side but the ground is fairly rocky so digging is tough by hand. But we calculated that we could have 2 solid back to back showers with no drainage happening before we hit that mark on the 55 gallon drum. I will take picks tomorrow, after the water is flowing in the cabin finally 😀

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.