Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / 12 volt water pump recommendations
Crabby
# Posted: 22 Jul 2018 22:46 - Edited by: Crabby

I recently bought a run down off grid cabin and the wife and i are fixing it up. I got a pump from a friend to use with a holding tank off the generator but would lime to get a 12 volt pump and draw it from the lake which is about 200 feet down from the cabin. I would house it in a box and put a battery in there and power it with a small solar panel. Just looking for a good pump for this. 2 sinks and a shower right now but might figure out a toilet situation next year.
Anyone have any recommendations?

Crabby
# Posted: 22 Jul 2018 23:07

Quoting: Crabby
year

sparky1
# Posted: 23 Jul 2018 11:40

I seriously doubt a small 12 volt pump will "pull water that far. possibly a small one might push some, but weight factor & height from lake in a 1/2" pipe.
(ever thought a 12-24 volt "Well pump " off the NET) I bought a "Orange one." $90/+ E-bay 1.2 gpm 90 psi. bought a Pressure switch at 40 psi. I put it it my old caved in well at 75 ft.
Total lift to tank 85 ft. ,it doesn't come with a check valve fine with me--- so winter freeze, it all drains back. i run it off a (4D) battery Tractor supply, a rotary on off switch.(red) maintain it off 20 watt solar panel $50.oo internet. small charge controller $39.oo. works great for me I go to my remote every 2 weeks to be sure all it ok. i have 20 gallon storage " plastic tank from a old camper.has over flow so I know when tank is full gravity flow to sink. added a manual valve to maintain tank filled & no drain back. while im there.
I wish you well.
sparky1 in Virginia.

Crabby
# Posted: 23 Jul 2018 12:10

Ya i should have clarified a little more. I would house the pump right by the lake and the draw would not be very far but the push would be close to 200 feet. Right now I have a very large holding tank under the cabin with a 1/3 hp pump with pressure tank to pump into the cabin but need the generator to run it as my solar system isn't that strong. Borrowed a 2 inch gas pump from a friend to fill the holding tank from the lake but want to make it easier for my wife when she goes out alone or with her mother and the kids as i work alot.

Atlincabin
# Posted: 23 Jul 2018 12:15

I don't know why a simple Shurflo RV pump wouldn't work for this. They run between about 35-55 psi, which means 70+ feet of head if necessary, and 200 feet of lateral distance would not be an issue. They are pretty cheap and robust.

ILFE
# Posted: 24 Jul 2018 03:31

Quoting: Atlincabin
I don't know why a simple Shurflo RV pump wouldn't work for this. They run between about 35-55 psi, which means 70+ feet of head if necessary, and 200 feet of lateral distance would not be an issue. They are pretty cheap and robust.

They sure are reliable little pumps. If you go with one, at least buy the strainer sold for them, if not a filter for it. Helps keep the impeller in better shape over a longer period of time.

SE Ohio
# Posted: 24 Jul 2018 09:58 - Edited by: SE Ohio

Is the 200' to lake horizontal or vertical, or a combination? Height is most critical parameter.

Crabby
# Posted: 24 Jul 2018 10:08

Ya it's mostly uphill. Steep at first then gradual uphill the rest of the way.

sparky1
# Posted: 26 Jul 2018 10:36

Pipes - Water Content - Weight and Volume - Engineering ToolBox

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.