Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / High Efficiency Ceiling Fans
bbandeddie
# Posted: 1 Aug 2018 12:37

The move to high efficiency DC motors in ceiling fans caught me unawares so I thought I’d share. I had always considered a ceiling fan out of the question for off grid as the fan motors have generally been pretty power hungry. Then, cruising through Costco, I see a 52W ceiling fan on the shelf. Wow. That’s doable.
Then I’m in Home Depot last week and pass through the fan aisle and started looking at boxes carefully. I see a 60" fan with a 32W motor. Whoa. This is interesting. Checking the back of the box reveals power ratings for low speed as 1W (One!!). This particular fan also comes with a 17W bulb.
Looking at other fans, beware the light bulb. Amazing they go to the trouble of making and marketing the high efficiency DC motor and then through 120W of incandescent bulb in it.
Note, of course, these are 120W AC appliances, not DC so you still need inverter power.
Fan box
Fan box
Fan price & stock number
Fan price & stock number

Nate R
# Posted: 1 Aug 2018 13:16

Nice! I recently had discovered similar things.

Minka Aire makes a 44 and 52" fan that use 33W on high, and as low as 3W on low. And they have an OPTIONAL 15W LED light.

https://www.minkagroup.net/f787-orb.html
https://www.minkagroup.net/images/instruction-manuals/F787-English--1474311604.pdf --Specs at the end of the manual for CFM and watts on each speed.

I thought the same thing, that these new DC fans are a great option for off-grid. Planning on putting one in my cabin bedroom and porch (once built!)

bbandeddie
# Posted: 1 Aug 2018 13:25

I had been thinking I would only be able to use a fan over the sleeping area and only with sunny forecasts. Now I’m thinking I can also run one in the living area and get a boost from the wood stove as it’s a high loft space and all the heat goes straight up.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.