Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / EU7000IS
Ejm
# Posted: 2 Aug 2018 15:03

Anyone have experience with the Honda EU7000IS. I am having a hard time figuring out how to wire it to my circuit breaker box. Spoke to Honda and they are telling me there are two outlets for the total power instead of just one outlet. How do you wire it if you need both outlets and how do you not go over the watts for each outlet induvial outlet? I would think one side would trip the generator breaker if you go over the watts for the breaker. Has anyone had success wiring this to their cabin and getting the full 5500 watts?

ICC
# Posted: 2 Aug 2018 17:09

What kind of service panel is it going to feed into?

Yes Honda is right on how the built in 120 VAC receptacles are wired. But did they ask about whether or not you can use the 240 VAC receptacle?

If the cabin has a typical service panel the breakers are split into a left and a right side with a common neutral. I would use the 240 VAC generator output to feed such a panel; white/gray wire to neutral and one hot black to the left, the other to the right. Wiring the cabin circuits to try and more or less evenly spread the load to both left and right would help the generator live longer.

Is there a grid connection? You need a transfer switch if there is.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 2 Aug 2018 20:00

I have an EU6500is and its the exact same unit, just not EFI.
I use the switch in the 240V position, feed it into my home and if I need any 110VAC stuff, I plug it into the house.

Ejm
# Posted: 3 Aug 2018 08:40

ICC... That is what Honda said, but they are not 100% sure it will work. They said the two hot wires could go to each end of the bus and I would just have to even out the load between both wires, but this still doesn't make sense to me if the 240v side is rated for 30 amps. I like this genny a lot, but don't want to waste my money and time if it will trip the genny breaker when it pulls 3600 watts. I want to make sure I could use the full 5500 running watts from the 220 socket.

Ejm
# Posted: 3 Aug 2018 08:52

Toyota.... Since you have the same unit can you confirm that you could pull all 5500 watts from the 220 socket or is it only the rated load of 3600 watts from that socket?

ICC
# Posted: 3 Aug 2018 10:24

Page 42 of the user manual I found online has a table that provides what amps are available at what volts for each of the sockets and for the voltage selector switch settings. With the switch set to 120/240 the large 4 prong socket is rated 22.9 amps at 240 volts. Multiply that; 22.9 amps x 240 volts = 5496 watts. Round that up and you have the 5500 watts continuous rating.

Ejm
# Posted: 3 Aug 2018 10:36

I just did the same, it looks like on 120/240 mode will do the trick. The only problem is I have to run a new burial line. I didn't think ahead and only have a 3 wire going to my cabin. Thanks for the reply.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 3 Aug 2018 20:43

My EU6500is will run my electric hot water tank, my electric clothes dryer, electric range, electric cooktop and do it with ease and do it in "eco mode" and it doesnt load (throttle up) up much with any of these loads. Now I will only run one of the heavy loads at a time.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.