Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Tankless heater erratic
Atlincabin
# Posted: 24 Aug 2018 23:22

Wondering if someone has a potential solution. My tankless (LP gas) water heater seems to ignite fine but occasionally goes out shortly after ignition. I turn the tap off and back on, and it lights again. Usually stays on the second time, but occasionally takes a third off-on cycle to stay on. Then it's good for however long I need it. Kind of bothersome in the shower to get hit with the cold water when it goes out!

Any thoughts on the cause and/or solution to keep it on the first time? I have plenty of water pressure, so I don't think it's a pressure/water flow issue.

FishHog
# Posted: 25 Aug 2018 09:52

Pressure and flow are 2 separate things. If you have a shower head that limits flow you might be right on the edge of the flow rate that controls the burner. That’s my best guess but my second thought is some air in your water line that after 2 or 3 lights is cleared.

I would take your shower head off and try it without. If it works then it’s a flow issue caused by the shower head. You can probably drill out the flow restrictor a little

Atlincabin
# Posted: 25 Aug 2018 10:52

Will check those things, thanks. Happens also at kitchen sink, just not as dramatic of a result when it does.

Steve_S
# Posted: 25 Aug 2018 14:02

Second FishHog…. most new taps, shower heads etc all have water restrictors and many on demand systems require a minimum GPM flow rate to start. Check the manual or online for your water heater and then look at the heads, aerators etc, many have a small O-Ring in the centre, that if removed increases the flow enough to solve the problem... worst case 1/8th drill bit and cautious patience.

Good Luck.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.