Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Propane alarm for off grid use
deercula
# Posted: 7 Sep 2018 00:40

I need a propane alarm that runs on 9 volt, AA, or similar batteries. I've only been able to find units with battery back-up for 110 volt, or 12 volt RV power. Thanks for your suggestions!

FishHog
# Posted: 7 Sep 2018 08:05

I looked as well since I have no sense of smell so wanted a warning.
I gave up and bought a 12v one, but I have 12. You could always wire a 12v one to two 6 volt batteries wired together.

KelVarnsen
# Posted: 7 Sep 2018 10:09

I read this on another forum.

"From my reading the propane detectors require constant (low-ish) voltage to operate properly and that means a battery wont work except as a back up."

paulz
# Posted: 7 Sep 2018 11:28 - Edited by: paulz

I have a keen sense of smell (probably because I can't see or hear worth a darn) but my wife can leave a burner on all day and not notice it. A low wattage alarm would be a good thing.

razmichael
# Posted: 7 Sep 2018 16:56

Quoting: KelVarnsen
"From my reading the propane detectors require constant (low-ish) voltage to operate properly and that means a battery wont work except as a back up."

Don't know for sure but likely the concerns here are with RVs - the various parasitic power draws will flatten a stored RV (not plugged in or no battery minder) in a couple of weeks (obviously depending on setup and batteries). The propane detector is always noted as one of the key culprits (although they likely only draw 150 mAs). Assuming you are on a solar system, a 12v detector should really be just fine. I close off the main circuit in my cabin when I leave but leave a "security" circuit fed from the Charge Controller's Load leads, on. This feeds a couple of camera's, detectors and motion sensors (with lights). This does not apply if your "off-grid" system is only batteries (w generator or such).

rockies
# Posted: 7 Sep 2018 18:00

This might work.

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/808-Home-9V-battery-operated-lpg_60743221170.h tml?spm=a2700.7724857.normalList.53.61496ee7e9w0RM

Or one of these options.

https://www.alibaba.com/showroom/9v-lpg-gas-detector.html

Check the minimum order number required though (unless you need 500 units).

paulz
# Posted: 24 Oct 2021 09:20 - Edited by: paulz

I think they're talking propane gas, not CO detection. I got one of those $20 handheld detectors awhile ago, takes 2 AA batteries. It will go off anywhere in the cabin if there's a big enough leak but it's more for pointing at pipes and appliances to pinpoint leaks.

Once in awhile I don't turn off the little propane torch I keep in the cabin all the way, or it leaks at the bottle. I can smell that as soon as I walk in from outside.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.