Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Solar Enclosure Panels
frankpaige
# Posted: 18 Sep 2018 16:55

Anyone have suggestions on the types of enclosures they used, bus bars and any problems to look out for?
Would love to see any pictures you would think might help.
Small Windynation system here.
Feel free to add on to what I am not asking here.
Thanks

Ontario lakeside
# Posted: 18 Sep 2018 22:45

you can see an overview of our setup here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfilBtej3t4&t=2s

ICC
# Posted: 18 Sep 2018 22:51

How big or small a system? What equipment--- ?

You mention buss bars--- for battery connections or what?

frankpaige
# Posted: 18 Sep 2018 23:19

Ontario, thanks. Didn't think to go to YouTube. Nice set up.
ICC, powering 7 LED lights and outlet for charging IPads.
1panel-100 watt, Vertamax inverter-1500 watt, charge controller P30L.
Bus bars? Maybe wrong term? How to connect power coming out of inverter to 3 electric lines going to lights? Haven't purchased battery yet.
Thanks very much all

ICC
# Posted: 19 Sep 2018 10:47

OK , second set of questions--- is the wiring tothe lights, plug already installed, like usual house wiring is done? Do you have a service panel those lines connect to?

frankpaige
# Posted: 19 Sep 2018 12:07

Second set of answers. 👍
Wiring is going to the lights. I believe that I should have used the words service panel instead of bus bars.
After taking Ontario's suggestion, Youtube, I saw a couple of ideas. With so few lights, thought service panel was overkill? Since I have the inverter, I wasn't looking to go with 12 volts. Maybe? There are panels out there that would fit the bill?

ICC
# Posted: 19 Sep 2018 15:52

One more--- have you given any thought to the type of battery? Wet lead-acid, sealed lead-acid like an AGM, or maybe a lithium?

I ask because wet/flooded lead-acid types give off fumes that can include a fine mist of acid and so should be kept away from electronics especially. Lithium and sealed types of lead-acid could be in the same box or cabinet as the CC and the inverter.

And just a thought--- if the loads are led lights and a usb device charger that inverter is way overkill. Is it returnable? Inverters that are much bigger than the current that is commonly used waste more watts than smaller inverters. It may be too late, but I thought I'd mention.

Be back later---

frankpaige
# Posted: 19 Sep 2018 16:47

AGM battery, while I was not putting it inside, just thought it better.
No, the inverter is mine to use, sleep with or use for boat anchor. While not opposed to seeking a smaller one. This be the one I have for the moment.

ICC
# Posted: 19 Sep 2018 18:13

OK, AGM. While they can be used in a habitable space it is still possible for them to fail and exterior may be better. But AGM suffer from cold weather just like a flooded lead-acid battery. At -10F a lead-acid chemistry battery has effectively lost 50% of it's capacity. Since we should not deplete the battery by more than 50% for a better lifespan, that means in cold weather you only have about 25% of the battery's rated amp-hour capacity. Just a heads up in case you did not know.

Note that even if all 7 led lights were 60-watt equivalents that is still only about 7 x 10 = 70 watts worth of power being used all on at the same time.

There are 12 volt DC led lights available; some screw into the same sockets as conventional bulbs, some are different and less common and some can be hard wired. Those would all be able to be run on 12 VDC on the same house wiring as what would be used for 120 VAC. Just not at the same time.

If you have a service panel, which does make connecting the Romex type wiring easier, and plan to use that inverter to feed the AC into the panel, be certain to NOT install the green bonding screw in the service panel. That will cause inverters with built-in receptacles, like that one, to kill themselves the instant they are connected to the battery.

That type of inverter is meant for portable, or temporary use, like camping, etc. You could simply use an extension cord plug to plug the cabin circuits into the inverter receptacles.

Back to the original question- how to set this up?
I gotta run but will be back after a while. You don't have to get too fancy with such a small setup. You could have the CC and the inverter in a wall cabinet on one side of the wall and the battery in another cabinet on the exterior side.

Are you going to rely completely on the PV panel for charging or will you have a generator for those periods of heavier use and, or cloudy weather?

beachman
# Posted: 19 Sep 2018 19:41

ICC I hear you on the ground screw in the panel. The portable inverters are "bonded" internally for portable protection and you can only have one bond or ground in the system. I have my 1000watt pure since inverter plugged into my distribution or fuse (circuit breaker) box. I have used a cross-over wire to keep all of the circuits at 120v. This box feeds my circuits by way of Romex with normal house wiring, plugs, light switches, etc... My two lead-acid batteries are charged with two panels and the whole thing is geared for a small approx 750watt system. It has worked great for a few years now. This all comes from about three years of research and questions.

frankpaige
# Posted: 19 Sep 2018 20:10

Mission Creep? Anyone ever experience that? 😎
I appreciate all the input, really do. And looking at YouTube has really helped.
I was looking for examples of solar that had been put in enclosures at their cabin. I thought that with so many people here, they must have taken some pictures?
Thanks

ICC
# Posted: 19 Sep 2018 20:45

Sorry, I have no pictures that would be relevant. I have used cabinets, etc all made for and supplied by Schneider the mfg of the CC and inverter and switches, disconnects and breakers. The wiring is all hidden behind the metal cabinet fronts. Plus my equipment is in a separate utility room off the workshop and it is simply mounted to a plywood sheet on the concrete block wall.

However you do this, keep in mind that the CC and the inverter produce heat when operating. Hot electronics mean electronics with a shortened lifespan. Batteries can also produce heat. Therefore the cabinetry must be ventilated.

If you can do the wiring with straight runs and 90 degree turns. Avoid crossing over diagonally if you can. It looks nicer when wires run straight and have 90 degree bends than when it looks like a rats nest. It is also easier to follow wires. Inspectors also love neat and tidy layouts.

Speaking of inspectors, if you are subject to electrical inspection the use of an inverter with plugs will not pass when used for a permanent type installation. If there is insurance, and if there is ever an insurance claim that could also be a problem; perhaps could be cause for a claim denial if there was a fire, for example.

It may make future servicing easier if you install a breaker in the + line that goes from PV panel to the CC and another in the line from the CC to the battery. Both close by the CC.

A breaker at the + terminal wire that leads to the inverter; as close to battery as possible. There are some that can attach directly to the + battery terminal.

frankpaige
# Posted: 19 Sep 2018 21:01

All great points. Information is always appreciated. TY
Inspectors never have visited. But that doesn't mean we should be slack.
It's a mystifying world. Points all well taken.
Thanks

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.