Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / My Nupoint security camera at "no-cellular" offgrid cabin
sha748
# Posted: 17 Oct 2018 11:40 - Edited by: sha748

This thread IS NOT about cellular based camera systems or for people who have access to cellular coverage at their cabin...
If you have cellular coverage you DON'T need this system...

For those of us with off grid remote hunting cabins with zero cellular coverage this may be an option for you.

I did post an initial thread several weeks ago about this satellite camera but since I had not yet used it I didnt want to provide the company info until I had tested it myself..

Well it has now been operating at my cabin for several weeks and based on my awesome customer support from the company and sales man (Tony), and the fact the camera is working perfectly for my needs I will now feel comfortable putting the info out for others..

I have had my off grid hunting property for 20 yrs and since it takes 4 hours to drive over mountain roads and unmaintained logging roads I dont get up to check on it as much as I would like..since I have no electricity and zero cellular coverage I have only had the comfort of several game cameras to keep watch...obviously I always wished I could check on the place with driving there but without cellular coverage this was not possible..

I recently started researching options again and came across NuPoint security systems, which uses as sattellite transmitter to send still photographgs to your email..the company info indicates that their primary customers were geological and government based clients who need to monitor off grid locations, so the system is very weatherproof and portable...

The salesman I contacted, "Tony", said they have recently decided to market to private property owners for situations like mine...the system uses a Reconyx brand wireless Microfire model camera and a small grey plastic transmitter box..thats all their is to it...obviously you have to provide the 12v battery and solar panel (i use a 50w panel).

Right off the bat know that its not cheap,but for me it has been worth every penny to check on my place...plan on at least $3k for the system, plus it is $65 monthly susbscription for up to 45 photos...mine is set to take a picture each day at noon, but thru their system website I can send the camera a command to snap a photo anytime I wish...

There is a system bug we are still working thru( and this is where I give them super kudo's for fast responsive customer service) where the outdoor mounted game camera motion sensor activates the camera too often...i guess for government based needs thats not an issue but needless to say that is not what you want with a 45 picture monthly suscription so they are reprogramming it to cut off motion sensor....obviously if you want the motion sensor and keep it inside the cabin it is a non issue, but if it is outdoors it is not what you want...

Mine takes a daily picture at noon and if I want to I can just send a command to the camera any other time I want to check on cabin...since it is all satellite based it does take about 30- 45 minutes for the system to email the picture after the command is sent...I am sure it will be faster in future as system technology improves..

There is NO video option via satellite based on my understanding so for now it is photo only.
Also just as a heads up since they are based in Canada know that there is about $75 FedEx fee I had to pay for coming thru customs...

Overall I could not be happier...now i can check on my cabin anytime I want and even get idea of snow level...if I were to see signs of damage or theft I can drive up and pull game cameras...and even though this system isnt cheap, the gas money and drive time saved and the peace of mind it provides has been well worth it...
The system
The system
Picture quality
Picture quality

FishHog
# Posted: 17 Oct 2018 17:50

cool and thanks for sharing.
from my experience with game cameras, all that grass in front of your photo would trip my cameras in a wind. Could be your issue, try moving the camera up to get that grass out from in front and you might see less motion pictures.

I get 3 times as many pictures with nothing in them during the months with leaves/grass/ferns than I do in the winter. One stray branch can make for 1000 extra pictures for me.

sha748
# Posted: 17 Oct 2018 18:32

You are correct and it does indeed set it off ..even set to least sensitive camera setting I got pictures since there is just so much wind at times moving trees and my windsceen on side of porch ...but for my needs I am just wanting it for daily status check so disabled motion sensor saves me from risk of unneeded pics....

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.