Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Generator Input
Borrego
# Posted: 12 Nov 2018 13:20

So here's where I'm at.....I have a Honda 3000 out at our cabin, and the original Generac 3500 back here at our 'ranch' closer to town. (Generac stopped working after giving its best for 10 years, don't know if it's worth fixing, was only $400 new and is really noisy.

The Honda is really overkill for the cabin since I put in solar, will only use it to run tools...so I was thinking to get a Honda 2000 for the cabin and bring the 3000 home to use for emergencies here (the current fire situation in CA is making us all nervous and has me re-thinking my emergency plans....)

But then I remembered the talk (on this forum I think) about dual-fuel generators, I could get a nice one in that power range for less than a Honda 2000....but they are noisier....

Thoughts?

ICC
# Posted: 12 Nov 2018 14:25

For about $200 you can get a kit to convert the eu2000i to propane use. I have kits from Century Fuel on a couple of Honda pump engines as well asan EU2000i. They are trifuel kit; gasoline, propane, natural gas. They make propane only kits for some engines IIRC.

darz5150
# Posted: 12 Nov 2018 14:34

I recently got a dual fuel sandstorm 4000. Love it so far. Not as quiet as Honda probably. But I like the dual fuel option. It is a basic plain Jane but powered the whole cabin without any problem. 2 window ac units, chest freezer, fridge, lights and TVs. It has a pull starter but starts super easy.
I contacted customer service to ask about parts availabity. I live outside St. Louis. And can get parts from them. In St.Louis. In fact I ordered another AVR (automatic voltage regulator) an extra set of brushes for it for less than $40. Just to have on hand. It comes with a one year warranty on it.
1112181312.jpg
1112181312.jpg

Borrego
# Posted: 12 Nov 2018 18:29

ICC - The 3000 has a 30A outlet that I have a cord wired into my electrical setup so i could power the cabin if needed....the 2200 only has 120A outlets...can I convert these?

Borrego
# Posted: 12 Nov 2018 18:40

Also just read while researching that using propane will burn up the valves/valve seals...?

darz5150
# Posted: 12 Nov 2018 19:41

Adaptor
Screenshot_2018111.png
Screenshot_2018111.png

ICC
# Posted: 12 Nov 2018 21:13

Quoting: Borrego
Also just read while researching that using propane will burn up the valves/valve seals...?

I think that only applies to older engines that were designed to run on leaded fuel. The lead lubed the valve seats. I've got a total of 4 small Honda engines that run propane only, with thousands of hours total. No issues.

ICC
# Posted: 12 Nov 2018 21:14

Quoting: Borrego
The 3000 has a 30A outlet that I have a cord wired into my electrical setup so i could power the cabin if needed....the 2200 only has 120A outlets...can I convert these?

As long as the power demand does not exceed the 20 amps a cheater cord as pictured above is fine.

Nate R
# Posted: 12 Nov 2018 21:25

Gaseous fuels ARE harder on valve seats/valves. Whether it's enough to matter is a gamble. SOME engines that are manufactured as dual fuel will account for this with different seat materials to start with. Some use "good" seat materials for gasoline engines as it is, and won't see a difference. Some will see higher/faster wear with gaseous fuels. Is it enough to matter? I don't think I'd worry about it in this context.

Borrego
# Posted: 13 Nov 2018 10:25

Quoting: ICC
As long as the power demand does not exceed the 20 amps a cheater cord as pictured above is fine.

Just lights and a refer......
YouTube has lots of videos on the conversion kits for the Honda, they will help...
Thanks for all of the help guys!

Borrego
# Posted: 14 Nov 2018 20:17

Has anyone used this Generator? Sounds like a great one...as much as I love my Honda 3000, this has many advantages at half the price and less weight. Not the same quality I'm sure, but hmmmmm......?

https://www.championpowerequipment.com/product/100264-3500-watt-dual-fuel-inverter/#p roduct-img-2

gsreimers
# Posted: 17 Nov 2018 12:51

Researching propane conversion for my Honda EU2000i and there are several out there. Does anyone know which brand is best and will still allow me to use gas if I run out of propane.

Borrego
# Posted: 17 Nov 2018 13:06

I'm leaning heavily towards the Honda 2200. My research shows a company called Hutch Mountain has a great product. You can watch their videos on YT:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZRMUk3TPTs

offgrididaho
# Posted: 18 Nov 2018 12:30

Eu2200i Companion (same price as regular 2200) has 30a plug on it. Obviously doesn't output 30a unless chained to another eu2200 but saves you having to use adapter dongle.

rayyy
# Posted: 18 Nov 2018 13:56

Boy,that is tempting.It sounds easy enough to hook up,too.

Borrego
# Posted: 18 Nov 2018 15:58

Quoting: offgrididaho
Eu2200i Companion (same price as regular 2200) has 30a plug on it. Obviously doesn't output 30a unless chained to another eu2200 but saves you having to use adapter dongle.

Thank you! I saw that 30A plug on one and couldn't figure out why it wasn't on the other ones I was looking at.....

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 18 Nov 2018 20:21

EU2200i companion is usually $100 more and you can use it as a stand alone, but if you want to parallel, it must be used in conjunction with a EU2200i.

offgrididaho
# Posted: 18 Nov 2018 20:36

Looks like you can parallel a newer EU2200i with an older EU2000i, although only one of the "newer" 2000's not the older ones by serial number:

https://powerequipment.honda.com/generators/generator-parallel-capability

gsreimers
# Posted: 29 Nov 2018 17:49

Follow up, after input from Borrego and some of my own research I purchased the Hutch Mountain conversion kit for my Honda 2000. It showed up in 4 or 5 days after ordering and was very easy to install.

I did have to adjust the idle adjustment on the regulator but after that it starts up and runs like a song.

Borrego
# Posted: 29 Nov 2018 17:57

Was the install as easy as it looked in the video?

gsreimers
# Posted: 30 Nov 2018 20:20

Actually, it was. Took me about 45 minutes. If I do the other one I have (companion model) it will probably take less than 30 minutes.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.