Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Coleman hot water on demand conversion
mattd
# Posted: 26 Dec 2018 22:39

You guy know what this thing is? It’s a water heater that runs off a green Coleman can. It has a pump that draws water out of a bucket and a 6v battery for the pump and gas lighting.

I’d like to plumb and wire it into the cabin water and power. But that will take some work.

The problem is that it has to be manually turned on each time, no turning on a hot water faucet without starting heater first, every time. And it has a flow sensor, and when water isn’t moving the gas turns off, and dosent turn itself back on once flow returns.

I could bypass the flow sensor, and it would always be hot, but that would be bad.

So I was thinking tapping into the flow sensor wiring and adding a relay that fired the starter when water started moving. Does that make sense?

Not sure how gas is shut off when sensor Impeller stops tho. It must send current to a gas valve that closes? If so, when that current goes away the relay would send current to the starter rather then me having to manually restart it.

frankpaige
# Posted: 26 Dec 2018 23:44

""""So I was thinking tapping into the flow sensor wiring and adding a relay that fired the starter when water started moving. Does that make sense?"""

It does? But if you are trying to conserve your water?

mattd
# Posted: 27 Dec 2018 00:58

I am, in the case of a shower. I’ll have to bring water on site, likely filling up a 275g cube for 3 seasons, 6g jug during winter.

But also in the case of washing hands, or cleaning dishes. I was thinking I could make it so that just turning on the hot faucet would give hot water. Not starting the heater first. Like at home.

Princelake
# Posted: 27 Dec 2018 06:56

Why not just buy a small hot water heater out of an rv. Runs off of propane or power. You can have hot and cold like at home. Just use a bit more propane cause you are constantly heating the water. Or just run it off the generator when you need it. They only take 20min to heat. So if you plan to shower or do dishes fire up the genny have a drink and ta da hot water.

mattd
# Posted: 27 Dec 2018 09:47

That would be an option but I already own this thing. And what would I do if I didn’t have projects at home!

How many watts does that kind of water heater use? Could always just turn gas on too I suppose when your ready for shower if I went that route.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 27 Dec 2018 15:36

Mr Heater Aqua Cube???? I have one, love it.

mattd
# Posted: 30 Dec 2018 01:05

The aqua cube is just like what I have. Would rather turn on a faucet to start the heater, vs manually starting every time.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 30 Dec 2018 11:58

Well, propane on demand is your answer then.
Eccotemp FVI12-LP Liquid Propane Gas Tankless Water Heater

silverwaterlady
# Posted: 30 Dec 2018 21:15

I had the same Coleman water heater. It's green and has a spout for the water with a knob to control the water temperature.
Has a cheap 12 volt pump attached. Built in rechargeable battery.
Bought the shower hose accessory.
Can buy a propane adaptor to use a BBQ tank.

PITA item. Bought it about 20 years ago. Before on demand off grid showers were widely available.
Why not use it as is until the battery won't hold a charge. That's what we did.

So much happier and life is easier with the set up we use now.
When I need hot water inside the cabin I just use my outdoor on demand hot water tank that is in our outdoor shower. Put the water in a five gallon HD bucket and take it to the cabin.
I do have cold running water in the cabin.

mattd
# Posted: 31 Dec 2018 11:26

Quoting: toyota_mdt_tech
Well, propane on demand is your answer then. Eccotemp FVI12-LP Liquid Propane Gas Tankless Water Heater

I think with this Coleman heater I have the same type of technology that is in a tankless heater. I'd just need to make some modifications.

A better way to ask my question is....is it actually the same type of technology, and can the Coleman handle the regular on and off it would experience.

For example, during a shower, since water is a limited resource, I was going to put one of those pull chain valves on like I've seen at camp grounds. pull the chain to get wet (hot water on), let it go to soap up (hot water off), wash off (on), etc.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 31 Dec 2018 12:37

OK, I have that same Coleman on demand how water system, no parts for it, just a pump and you can do a battery, otherwise, all made out of unobtanium, I replaced mine with the Aqua Cube, they both work on the exact same principle. But I think I remember the Coleman did shut power to the pump. You will get real cold and real hot water when you cycle it on or off.

LastOutlaw
# Posted: 1 Jan 2019 18:06 - Edited by: LastOutlaw

Toyota_mdt_tech I also use an ecotemp. Love it. it starts the burner for the shower off of two d cell batteries and burns propane. Starts automatically as soon as i run water. I do have to have a separate flowjet pump though but that is no biggie. I love my hot shower when Im in my cabin in the mountains.

I've considered running water lines to the front of the cabin from the back where the ecotemp is but because I'm on rainwater harvest for water or I haul it in, I cant bring myself to do that.

I think it would waste too much water pushing all the cold water out of the lines when i turn on the hot water in the kitchen.

I think another ecotemp may be in order for the front of the cabin.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.