Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Living off grid is not so bad.
rayyy
# Posted: 4 Feb 2019 20:56

It's been almost 10 years now since I have built this place and lived here off the grid and I am cozy and comfortable as anyone on the grid. I divide my energy needs into 4 categories,( 1.)12 volt battery/solar,(2.)wood kitchen cook stove,(3.)propane,(4.)120 volt gas generator.
When I first walk in the door,I want to be able to turn on any light fixture to see by.(1.)I want it to be warm and comfortable, (.2) or (3.).I want to go to any one of the bathtub/shower,kitchen sink or bathroom sink and turn on the faucet and get hot and cold running water.(1.) and (3.).flush toilet (1.).Refrigerator/freezer,,, (1.)and (3.)My heat is either (2.)or (3.).cooking/baking is either (2.)or (3.) So what's left?If I want to run anything 120 volt, the microwave, toaster,coffee maker!,vacuum cleaner, t.v./cd player,curling iron,hair dryer,window a/c,fan,,,that is where my honda eu2000i comes in.All the while it's running,it's helping the solar panels charge up my 12 volt batteries.My water supply is a 250 gallon water tank inside where it's always warm.I fill it by either going to town and buying 4 ea.)55 gallon barrels of water,25 cents each or filling it from the creek when it is running clean.(ran through a 5 micron filter and treated with chlorine.)life is good!

darz5150
# Posted: 4 Feb 2019 23:32

Congrats rayyy. 10 years. That's quite a milestone. Most people have a hard time if they lose connection with the grid for 10 hours, let alone 10 years.

Gary O
# Posted: 5 Feb 2019 00:27

Yer right
Not bad at all
We’ve only been at it on our fourth year, but each month, each season gets easier and easier.

Good on you, brother

rockies
# Posted: 5 Feb 2019 19:24 - Edited by: rockies

You should add a UV filter for the creek water. One of the pathogens not effectively killed by chlorine is cryptosporidium, commonly called "beaver fever". You should also change your filter to a "1 micron" size.

https://www.cdc.gov/healthywater/drinking/travel/backcountry_water_treatment.html

https://www.cdc.gov/parasites/crypto/gen_info/filters.html

groingo
# Posted: 11 Feb 2019 20:49

What are you using for batteries?
Off grid myself 8th season or 7 years myself.

BrotherDave
# Posted: 20 Feb 2019 12:23

rockies Cryptosporidium is not 'commonly called beaver fever'. Cryptosporidium is a parasite which causes cryptosporidiosis. Beaver fever is a sickness caused by the giardia parasite.

You should understand what you are talking about before telling others how to treat their water.

Old and Slow
# Posted: 20 Feb 2019 16:06

Rayy make certain you take immediate steps to treat your water. You've been at this ten years-reckon you have some idea what you're doing?

Great what you are doing. If only I could get rid of Verizon and Direct TV I too could be rid of the real parasites.

Bob

rockies
# Posted: 20 Feb 2019 19:30

My mistake, I must have been drinking untreated creek water.

RiverCabin
# Posted: 21 Feb 2019 12:39

Catch It!
Beaver Fever
Beaver Fever

Old and Slow
# Posted: 21 Feb 2019 18:39

My place in Tennessee has a spring and when questioned about treatment I always tell the questioner
"Drinking that water killed the man who built the place."

Eventually I tell them he drank that water until age 97 and before it killed him.

Actually I don't know how old he was but I knew one of the 12 children raised there and he was around 80 many years ago.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.