Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Tiny Cabin Heating
Barrys Bay
# Posted: 1 Mar 2011 21:18

We will be installing the Amesti r450 stove in spring. It is made in Chile. We got it on a super sale. Cabin size is 12'x15'. It is the smallest EPA stove we could find at a store, and far cheaper than a Jotul. It is rated for up to 600sq ft. Our concern will be to control heat, as the space is very small. Do you think if we installed the double-wall insulated pipe right from the base of the stove, that it could reduce the amount of heat output? I know normally you just use single wall until you reach just near the ceiling, then use double wall for safety. Our ceiling is low so we would only end up buying one extra section of insulated pipe in place of single. Any ideas.
Amesti r450
Amesti r450

bugs
# Posted: 2 Mar 2011 09:28 - Edited by: bugs

Neat looking stove.

We thought of a tiny wood stove for our place but we decided for a portable propane heater cause we could not afford the clearance space (our shed living space is half the size of yours) plus there is always the element of tending the fire.

I suggest no matter what you do get a fan of some sort to circulate the air so it does not stratify with the ceiling at 45C and the floor at 5C. We found a simple dc car fan works quite well (a bit noisy) and does not take too much juice off the solar.

spee
# Posted: 2 Mar 2011 10:00

almost bought the same woodstove on sale at lowes... They had them 75% off.

Key work ALMOST... My plans were to build a small 100 sqft cabin but figured this thing would take up to much place and might get tooo hot.

I might also go with a propane heat, fan and CO2 sensors.

MtnDon
# Posted: 2 Mar 2011 16:34

You could use double wall black pipe (air gapped) from stove to ceiling and from there up, double wall insulated stainless steel. Not sure how difference that would actually make?

Barrys Bay
# Posted: 2 Mar 2011 18:49

Spee, we have used a Buddy propane heater from Princess Auto. The thing smells, and only provides heat in the immediate area above it. It warmed our cabin a little 2 weekends ago when it was -18 C outside. We turned it off minutes before going to sleep. Let's just say it was so cold, I had to peel the plastic off the water bottles that had turned into solid blocks of ice so I could make coffee in the morning. Propane sucks. We do have a 12x8 with a 12x7 porch, so we think we will just open the door when it gets hot, maybe even put up temporary walls on the porch so we can sit there all toasty too. My main concern is to keep the cabin safe and not cause a fire. The stove is actually tall, and not that wide. I'm happy to trade space and gain comfort. I believe it won't take up too much room. And we did buy it at 75% off, which is about the price of a tent stove these days. I'll post about it when we install it this spring. Let me know what you decide to do for your cabin.
Winter Cabin
Winter Cabin

bushbunkie
# Posted: 2 Mar 2011 20:18

BB,
Our bunkie is 10' x 10' and 14' high...the loft is 6' to the peak and the bunkie is insulated.
I'm installing a vented 10000BTU propane gravity furnace from an RV (no electricity required). Had it reconditioned....blue flame...works great...has a thermostat...really kicks out the heat.
Problem with the woodstove, in my situation, is that it's me, my wife, two boys and a Lab in the bunkie...a hot stove would be too dangerous and too hot in general. Now, if it was just my wife and I...I would seriously think about a tiny woodstove.
The one you found looks cool...what are the dimensions?
salvaged RV furnace
salvaged RV furnace
salvaged RV furnace
salvaged RV furnace

bugs
# Posted: 3 Mar 2011 11:03 - Edited by: bugs

BB

We have a Big Buddy (more btu's than a Little Buddy) and 2x6 insulated walls, floor and ceiling. It can take our little 77 sq ft shed from -10C to +17C (average ceiling floor) in about one hour on hi. Keeps us.... and the mice warm. Altho, we have not tried staying at the shed at the temps you are talking about. I suspect not having any insulation, as you mentioned, may contribute to your cabin not holding the heat well during the night. Maybe a snow cave would be warmer!!!

btw The heater does stink/off gas during its initial uses (just like osb, particle board etc) but the more its used the less it seems to smell.

How long do you think you would get a "burn" from the Amesti when fully stoked?

Barrys Bay
# Posted: 3 Mar 2011 20:18

bb, the stove is 19.6 by 16.9 in. wide, and 30 inches tall.

I wonder if we should have just insulated the shed and gotten the big buddy. It would actually cost us more to do that than to buy the stove and pipe. Just wondering.

bushbunkie
# Posted: 4 Mar 2011 17:11

There's a great ambience to having a woodstove...I love 'em.
You've also got that second front porch area to let out some of the heat, if it get's too crazy hot.
Like I said above...if I ever build a second bunkie for the kids and their buddies...as they get older and rowdier!...I would seriously think about a tiny woodstove because my wife and I would then take the loft...freeing up living space on the main floor.

If you find your sleeping there a lot more than expected over the next few years...you can always go to plan B...insulate and put in a vented propane heater ($400.)...they're small, don't use electricity and take up very little space.

In the end...it's whatever makes you happy when you pull up to the door of your cabin after a week of work!

bugs
# Posted: 4 Mar 2011 17:29 - Edited by: bugs

Barry

That sure is a sweet lookin little stove.

It is always good to have two heat sources just in case. If we run out of propane at the shed we are scre......err cold!! If you have a bout of laziness (like I tend to have and not get enough wood stashed away) or very wet weather the wood pile might not be as good/dry as it could.

IF (can't make the letters big enough!) we ever build another and bigger shed we will definitely make sure there is room for a nice little wood stove as the primary heat source and use a propane heater as an alternate supplemental heat source.

Just
# Posted: 4 Mar 2011 17:40

what the stove is is entertainment .and work cut wood hall wood pile wood .carry wood in asshes out!! but i think worth it ..
the weasels nest
the weasels nest

larryh
# Posted: 4 Mar 2011 17:56

I think the amount of heat projected by the pipe, which will be considerable if close to walls or ceilings is not still a big factor in producing the majority of heat from the stove. I don't know if it would be worth looking at the clunky insulated pipe coming from the stove. I have a large heater in my old farm home and a cook stove. The cook stove produces some radiation from the chimney but nothing like the heating stove which is much larger. No matter what you do see that your walls and ceiling are not getting too hot in operation, but overall heat will mostly come from the stove.

sm paul
# Posted: 4 Mar 2011 18:21

Quoting: Barrys Bay
We will be installing the Amesti r450 stove in spring

That is a nice looking stove!! Might I ask where you bought it?

Barrys Bay
# Posted: 5 Mar 2011 11:31

Lowe's. It was regular $599, got it for $150 at 75% off.

sm paul
# Posted: 5 Mar 2011 12:09

WOW, That was a fantastic deal!
Thanks for the tip. I will definitely check it out.

Steve961
# Posted: 5 Mar 2011 17:11

I found quite a difference between insulated pipe and uninsulated pipe with my Jotul 602 in my 450 square foot cabin, but my problem was the opposite of yours. I had originally installed my stove with the insulated pipe thinking it would help with the draft. The first really cold night (~0F) I spent there the wood stove just could not keep up. I was worried the stove was not large enough for the cabin and hoping I wouldn't have to buy a larger one.

I decided to try some uninsulated pipe before getting another stove and it made all the difference in my cabin. The next cold weekend I was there, <0F at night, the stove kept the place much warmer without any problems. I think with really small stoves, like the Jotul 602, uninsulated pipe can make a bigger difference.

aaron
# Posted: 4 Feb 2013 14:51

have you got a pic of the jotul 602, thanks

DungeonX
# Posted: 4 Feb 2013 15:53

If you install a flue you can close it and have the stove radiate alot of heat or by opening the flue it can let alot of the heat escape up and out through the chimney. Just a thought, only thing is that when it is closed the fire smoulders more and will require a chimney sweep more often.

groingo
# Posted: 5 Feb 2013 13:23

That stove will cook you out but so did mine, just cut smaller chunks of wood and it will be much easier to control, for example I cut mine originally at 16 inches but now only 10 inches before splitting, windows are seldom open on cold days now.

creeky
# Posted: 5 Feb 2013 15:13

first year heating with wood and i'm putting in propane
on the positive side: i have bowling ball biceps and my forearms look like they're about to give birth to a squirrel.
on the other hand i found out i am pron.e to choppers elbow. it hurts to lift a beer. tho using my left hand is good for the ambidexterity.
like groingo i use smaller pieces of wood and i have an older stove, so i can adjust the air going in and damp down the fire. you get pretty good at adjusting the air.
-10 last night with no problems.
my cabin is 12x20. with R25 insulation

bldginsp
# Posted: 5 Feb 2013 18:37

I'm assuming that my Morso 1410 stove will occasionally be too hot for my well insulated 300 sq ft cabin where it only goes to 10-20F minimum, so I'm going to use double wall pipe. But I will install gas piping so that I can install a small wall propane heater as well if necessary. I think in spring and fall it will be cold enough to want heat but not cold enough for the woodstove, in which case the propane heater on a thermostat will do the trick. When it gets colder, or just before bed, crank up the woodstove.

This stove takes 10 inch logs and you can't get a heck of a lot of wood into it, so I'm assuming it won't last overnight. Again, propane on thermostat to the rescue, it will kick in at 3 AM when the stove dies down so I don't have to get out of bed. Now THAT'S creature comfort.

Do they make an off-grid battery powered coffee maker on a clock/timer that goes ding-ding-ding when the coffee is ready?

creeky
# Posted: 26 Feb 2013 19:15

bldginsp: a combo's the ticket. then you can go away for a few days and the house doesn't freeze up.
i'm burning some older dead trees and I've got a batch that is hard to start, but then ... 30C (90F) in here last night. yup. woke me up at midnight

Martian
# Posted: 27 Feb 2013 19:42 - Edited by: Martian

Bldinsp, I have 450sqft. I love my Morso 1410! It does a great jpb pf heating my cabin, but the air control controls the temp excellently. I think you'll really like this stove. This is my second year with mine. I have the double wall stove pipe.

But, if you run the stove cool, the chimney will soot in at the top pretty quick. I burn hot and open a window, if need be. I do dampen down while I sleep.

I so have propane as my "away" backup if I'm gone more than 12 hours.

Tom

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.