Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Contemplating Wind Power from Missourri Wind & Power.
Steve_S
# Posted: 21 Apr 2019 15:18

Good day folks, well here we are, the continuing cabin life saga....

As many know, I've got a solar system up and all is well but it's not quite enough so I have been contemplating adding in a small Wind Turbine in the 1500-2000 Watt, 80" range with 3-Phase & Permanent Magnets. In order to accomplish this, I'm considering between a 50-60' tower which I can tip down IF ever there is need for maintenance. Placing this at the high point I'd be well over the tree tops and roughly 150' or so from my powerhouse.

There is a lot of brands, varieties and of course quality can be all over the place as well (not just imported stuff) and there are a fair number of Naysayer's that hate anything wind. I've been doing my research over the past couple of years and knowing the issues and knowing my property (luckily I am on a high ridge but in a forest) I should be able to get 75% direct wind flow and there is always a respectable breeze up here.

So the QUESTION of the Day... I've already eliminated several brands/types and narrowing down. Does anyone have "Experience" with Missouri Wind & Solar's freedom series turbines ? The one in particular I'm gravitating towards is LINKED here: http://mwands.com/store/2000-watt-9-blade-missouri-general-freedom-ii-wind-turbine?fi lter=2

I've heard fairly good things about these folks, watched all their video's and looked at what their customer's have had to say.. including from Alaska, Yukon & Nunavut (deep arctic) so winter's are not an issue.

Any feedback is muchly appreciated and personal experiences of course, are better. Thanks in advance for the feedback. NOTE my timeframe to this "next" project is early this summer May-June is.

creeky
# Posted: 22 Apr 2019 09:20

Interesting project.
Go here to see your wind potential
http://www.windatlas.ca/maps-en.php

Have you been able to find a cheap tower? That'll be the kicker. I see them on kijiji / in my travels now and then.

If you can get above the tree line you should be okay.

I have to say in this area wind isn't very good. I've met folks who have had 0 success. And yet I know a couple that swear by their's and they've had it 18 years. They're on top of a hill that is one of the highest in the area.
Good luck.

rockies
# Posted: 24 Apr 2019 19:08

I've read on several sites that wind turbines do not come close to providing the amount of power suggested by the manufacturer. This is not due to flaws in the product or a bad design but because of site constraints. Unless installed quite high up a wind turbine just doesn't get enough wind to produce much power.

Rather that add a very expensive tall tower, the turbine and all the other parts (which will all need specialized maintenance one day) I would suggest adding on to your PV system.

ICC
# Posted: 24 Apr 2019 21:05 - Edited by: ICC

No idea on Missouri's reputation.

I have a friend in CA who has two Bergy wind turbines. At least 12 years service on them. They have been in the wind turbine business a long time. They contribute a lot to his system BUT they are on guy wired towers that place the heads well above any trees and buildings. Something like 80 feet tall. I forget exactly how high. It tilts up or down for maintenance with the use of a gin-pole . The only disadvatgae to a guyed tower is they take a lot of space when you include the 4 pads the guy wires connect to. He has a large hilltop thoughwith few trees to be in the way. As rockies does point out, getting above the tree tops is important. His turbines spin when you may not even feel a breeze on the ground. I believe anyone who tells you otherwise is being deceitful, dishonest.

Cowracer
# Posted: 25 Apr 2019 09:00

Don't the noise from those things cause cancer?

(sorry, couldn't resist...)

Tim

redwolfguild
# Posted: 25 Apr 2019 12:29

Quoting: rockies
Rather that add a very expensive tall tower, the turbine and all the other parts (which will all need specialized maintenance one day) I would suggest adding on to your PV system.

I second this statement. Wind on a small scale is a disastrous and expensive way to invest in power. It works great on a large scale but the results are mixed for small guys like us. I have tried traditional turbines and even vertical access turbines. When the wind was up, they produced about 50% of the rated power. What I learned was when the wind was blowing, I was making as much power with my PV panels as I was with my turbine. I do not get any wind at night, so it doesn't help there either. Maintenance was a bitch and I had to have a wind shunt to bleed off power in windy conditions and have a turbine brake so if the wind really comes up it doesn't destroy itself. I really wanted it to work but I couldn't make it pencil for me. Dollar for Dollar, better to buy more panels and batteries. If you need more power at night, buy a EU2000.

Just my $.02 and wish it were more positive.

redwolfguild
# Posted: 25 Apr 2019 12:36

I just reviewed the web site. Look at the table for this turbine. At 15-18 MPH of wind, you are getting 400 watts of power. If it blows 15-18 constantly 24/7 that is 9K watts per day. Not bad but your turbine is not going to be running that frequently so we cut it in half your at 4500 Watts. At 4 hours of sun per day, that is only 1125 wats of PV that you need to replace it.

They draw you in with the Max out put of 2k Watts, but that is at 45MPH @ 24 volts.

Luckily $750 is not that much to spend to try it out but make sure you really run the spreadsheet on this one before you jump in.

Brettny
# Posted: 25 Apr 2019 12:41

Personaly i dont think wind or solar work well alone at least in my area. When the wind is blowing usualy its cloudy. When the sun is shining its usualy not windy.

Steve_S
# Posted: 25 Apr 2019 14:35

Well I'm now looking at various turbines and there are a few folks around here using small turbines who I'll be in touch with. I don't really need a huge one either, a 400w (real) would be suitable for my purposes. The intention, if I add this to my system is to use the Gin Pole method and having @ 50' up, I have a good site for that without obstructions or tall trees close. There's always a bit of breeze as it is on the high side of the ridge and 200' of no trees down the steep slope in front of it.

I'll be putting a weather station up before I spend anything serious but location is everything and it may be a solution. Wind & Solar can & do work very well together if your site supports it.

rockies
# Posted: 25 Apr 2019 19:19

This article may help.

www.solacity.com/small-wind-turbine-truth/

Steve_S
# Posted: 27 Apr 2019 12:27

Rockies, Solacity happens to be my primary supplier & Rob Beckers is a friend of mine.

redwolfguild
# Posted: 27 Apr 2019 13:37

Quoting: rockies
This article may help.

www.solacity.com/small-wind-turbine-truth/

That was a good write up. We should put that as a sticky.

rockies
# Posted: 27 Apr 2019 17:13

Steve, if Solacity is your primary supplier and Rob Beckers is a friend of yours (and has presumably authored that article) then hasn't he advised you not to include wind power in your plans?

Unless you happen to have one of the few sites in the US where wind power is viable.

I find that any time you introduce a new source of power to a system it just complicates it too much. Especially wind power, which in addition to the initial cost of buying all the equipment and having it installed, you must also have someone come out and service it. That can mean a specialized truck coming in with a crane to lower the tower so that a technician can work on it.

Why not keep everything on the ground (or the roof) with a larger solar PV system since you already know how to use it?

Steve_S
# Posted: 27 Apr 2019 18:10

Well first off I'm in Ontario and if you read the thread here I'm not looking at a beastly machine, more along the lines of an Primus Air-40-24 or in that sizing. Wind power is viable in many places from small to big but not everywhere in the ways some people think.

Yes we have indeed talked about it at length and he also knows of many successful installations of different types and many fails as well, just can't plunk it anywhere without thought & planning and good site eval.

rockies
# Posted: 27 Apr 2019 19:36

So what is it going to cost to install a wind turbine at your place?

NorthRick
# Posted: 28 Apr 2019 13:39

Quoting: Steve_S
I'll be putting a weather station up before I spend anything serious but location is everything and it may be a solution. Wind & Solar can & do work very well together if your site supports it.

This will tell you what you need to know - whether or not you have the right wind conditions to make wind power a viable option. Most places don't but that doesn't mean your site doesn't.

One of the main reasons small turbine wind doesn't live up to its potential is that people simply don't get them high enough. Sounds like you already understand this though.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.