Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Water questions
SmlTxCabin
# Posted: 6 Mar 2011 21:36

So I have run into a bit of a stumbling block. Getting water to my cabin is going to be quite expensive whether, I drill a well or hook up to the rural water supply. So I will have to save up the money to be able to do either. Its going to be at least $3000. And since I have been paying for my cabin as I build. I do not have enough money saved up to get that done. So what I was thinking about doing is getting 2- 300 gallon water containers. One set up by the cabin and one on a trailer. So I can haul water in. My parents live less than 10 miles from my cabin so there is a water source there where I can get water frequently and easily. I would like to harvest rainwater eventually so the containers will come in handy on that front as well. I know a local supplier that sells containers that are inexpensive. Then get an on demand water pump to pump the water from the containers into the cabin for needed running water and water pressure for my bathroom sink, my shower, and my kitchen sink. I will utilizing a composting toilet so I will not be wasting large amounts of water down the toilet. I have talked to several people in my area that think this is a viable and relatively inexpensive way to get water to the house for now. If anyone has done this or is still doing this I would love to hear from you. I would also like to know about different water pumps and what I should be looking for. ANY ideas or tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone.

Just
# Posted: 6 Mar 2011 22:21

sounds like a plan, you my still want to purify the water some how because bacteria will grow in the tanks after only a few hours. 12 v sur-flo pumps work well and requair no presser tank but are limited to about 2 gal. a min.. 110 v. jet pump if you want close to city water volums and presser ! we have sur flo at the cabbin and a jet at the cottage..

MtnDon
# Posted: 6 Mar 2011 22:23

We have a spherical tank buried in the ground. 325 gallons US. We buried it because of freezing weather. How's your weather. Note only the spherical type that are designed for burial can be emptied completely. Rectangular tanks can be buried if they were designed for that, but usually need to have 25% of their volume left in them as a minimum. 300 gallons is also heavy; about 2400 lbs plus tank.

hebegbz
# Posted: 7 Mar 2011 00:01 - Edited by: hebegbz

I have been hauling my water about a half mile, from my well to my cabin for over two years. We have a 200 gallon blue plastic tank on a small heavy duty trailer. The blue plastic does not promote the green slime build-up and the tank is big enough that my wife can get inside and scrub it out with clorox clean-up every couple of months. Run it through a 12v pump and into your system and you're good to go.

hebegbz
# Posted: 7 Mar 2011 00:06

We run our kitchen sink, our shower, the washer, and the garden hose out back on about 70 gallons a day. We take turns going to the well for water, usually takes 20 minutes every other day.

SmlTxCabin
# Posted: 7 Mar 2011 15:20

Very cool. The weather here is pretty mild. Well I say that and we just had the coldest winter for this area on record in the last 20 years....But normally our winters are mild : ) The only real HARD freezes we get are around end of Jan into mid February.

Heb- thanks for the estimate on the per day usage. I wasn't real sure what to expect on that.

I saw a video that someone did on youtube where they ran the water through 2 filters before the water entered the house, so I might be able to do a system like that.

Does anyone know of a way to reduce the bacterial build up. I plan on clean it regularly, but if there is anything anyone knows of a way to reduce it I would be very appreciative.

Thanks for the ideas.

MtnDon- I'm looking into the best way to haul that much weight on a regular basis. Dang water, for being so heavy!

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200249074_200249074

This is the pump I was looking at. Do you think this would work ok for what I am needing??

Just
# Posted: 7 Mar 2011 15:54

clorox ... get a swimming pool test kit then you will know how much to add ,, that's the same pump i have ,,, some times you can get them at T.S.C. a little cheeper than that !!

bobrok
# Posted: 7 Mar 2011 16:47

Hi S-T-C (I like acronyms)

I'm sure this has been covered before on the forum but FWIW I spoke to a water systems company before I started pumping water at my cabin. There is a formula that can be applied to water chlorination. Perhaps someone else can jump in with that, but it was recommended to use a 5% sodium hypochloride solution at a rate of 1/4 fl oz per 55 US gallons if using barrels. This is name-brand Clorox bleach. If you use an off brand you may run the risk of a less than 5% solution and risk underchlorinating.
If you use those larger tanks you can re-calculate the amount necessary. Many people I have talked to severly overchlorinate their water. One guy I know adds 1/3 cup bleach to a 55 gallon barrel. That's enough to burn your skin off in my estimation.

Just
# Posted: 7 Mar 2011 16:57

Also the clorox degrads over time [faster if in sunlight] thats when you need the tester !

SmlTxCabin
# Posted: 7 Mar 2011 20:00

Just- how have you liked that pump?? Any issues?

Just
# Posted: 7 Mar 2011 20:59

They like cleen water mine gets a air look sometimes i may have a small leak somewere!! u can buy a rebuild kit for 20$ ..i bought 2 pumps used at a trailer place for 20$ still on the first one after 5 years!!

Rob_O
# Posted: 7 Mar 2011 21:04

calcium hypochlorite (pool shock) is basically "dry bleach" without the limited shelf life. And the stuff is dirt cheap, one pound should treat all the water you will use until you get hooked up to the city lines.

Here's a Link with some good info

I'd still get a berkey or sterasyl for drinking water.

SmlTxCabin
# Posted: 7 Mar 2011 21:08

Thanks everybody. Im so thankful for this forum and all.the great people here. You are all kind and helpful.

hebegbz
# Posted: 7 Mar 2011 21:42

SmlTxCabin: Are you planning on drinking the water from your faucet?
We don't drink our well water, we buy bottled water by the gallon for drinking and cooking.

hattie
# Posted: 8 Mar 2011 00:16

Quoting: hebegbz
We don't drink our well water, we buy bottled water by the gallon for drinking and cooking.

Have you ever had your well water tested? Our well water is better than the bottled stuff. We get it tested every year or so.

SmlTxCabin
# Posted: 8 Mar 2011 00:29

I do not plan on drinking the water from the storage containers. It will strictly be for showers and sinks.

hebegbz
# Posted: 8 Mar 2011 00:41

If you aren't drinking the water, then you won't have to do anything to the water except to put a shur flo filter just before the pump. If your tank is opaque you won't get stuff growing in there for several months. (don't try to use anything else or it will get green pretty quick) Fortunately, our tank has an opening big enough to get inside and give it a good scrubbing every few months.
Also, I highly recommend getting the shur flo 5900 series pump. The variable pressure switch lets you turn the faucet on low, without the pressure blasting. We leave ours hooked up to the 12v 24/7 and it doesn't drain the battery if you aren't using it.

SmlTxCabin
# Posted: 8 Mar 2011 10:54

I see that several people have said that the colored containers breed less bacteria. Can you paint the clear ones. Or is it a different material that makes the difference.

Strangebrew
# Posted: 8 Mar 2011 13:22

Howdy, I'm gonna feed off what's been discussed here and post another question. I'm looking at building a rainwater capture system to provide water for my cabin (non-drinking water only). Right now, it looks like I'll use two 250 gallon tanks to capture water coming off the metal roof. I'm off-grid (no electricity) so was planning to use a 12 volt pump powered by a small solar/battery system to move the water from the tanks outside to my inside kitchen and bathroom faucets. Any suggestions on types, brand, models of pumps to use and what size of solar/battery system would be required?

Just
# Posted: 8 Mar 2011 13:54

sur flow pump 100$ ,,15 watt solor panel 100$ wall mart ,, charge controler 100watt 40 $ 12 volt deep cycle battery 100$ ,,if you would like 110 volt power at the cabin you could have it by adding a 1000watt inverterfor 100$ extra you will have to fuse and wire it properly can get that info by reading the solor energy threads!!!
this is what i have it pumps the water ,,runs the lights for 4hours a day and a small tv or radio in the evening .. it can easyly be made larger by adding up to 4 more solor panels and 3 more batteries without changing the other components.. im not a expert so i might have a few thing not perfect but mine has been up and running for 4 years now ,no trouble !!good luck

hebegbz
# Posted: 8 Mar 2011 15:06

It would depend on what you use to paint the tank. The point is to block the wavelength of light that promotes the growth. I have seen black, and blue, but there may be other colors. The blue is nice because it makes it easier to see when you need to clean it out.

SmlTxCabin
# Posted: 8 Mar 2011 16:47

Awesome. I can definitely do that.

wilderness99
# Posted: 3 Jul 2011 04:10

Has anyone ever thought of using a waterbed mattress as storage tanks? I have limited space in my cabin and having the storage under the bed would be great? Can the water in the mattress be shocked with bleach without ruining the materials in the mattress?

neb
# Posted: 3 Jul 2011 11:06

Interesting post. So if I store some water in a plastic jug will it be fine to just wash hands if stored in shack for month's?

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 3 Jul 2011 12:47

Quoting: neb
Interesting post. So if I store some water in a plastic jug will it be fine to just wash hands if stored in shack for month's?

neb---i would change it every 30 days or so, or drop in a chlorine tablet in it or a drop or 2 of clorox........and bottled water for drinking

neb
# Posted: 4 Jul 2011 00:13

turkeyhunter

You would think some good water from a good source would be fine stored inside. I will take some fresh water in just for washing hands or like you said use some clorine. Thanks again

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.