Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Generator Options/Question
. 1 . 2 . >>
zorro
# Posted: 5 Jun 2019 11:29 - Edited by: zorro

I am building my power system for a new build cabin and had looked at the Generac PowerPact 7500-Watt;

https://www.electricgeneratorsdirect.com/Generac-69981-Standby-Generator/p82546.html? gclid=CjwKCAjw0N3nBRBvEiwAHMwvNl3ztNnPWOIYrTFtkB-VVYHVCKlUrg_U6bwgKzGG26z6yZs2fG4SkRo CvwMQAvD_BwE

However, I am hearing that this is NOT for off grid use and as soon as it is wired for off grid (which requires a bit of cutting into the wiring harness), the warranty is null and void – that is a concern!

Does anyone have any other recommendations for an actual off grid generator for a similar price?
I know Generac do their ECOGEN models, but that comes in around $4200 plus tax!!

Other option is just a basic standby with remote start, like this Champion here;

https://www.electricgeneratorsdirect.com/Champion-100161-Portable-Generator/p67311.ht ml?gclid=CjwKCAjw0N3nBRBvEiwAHMwvNvOgrdhkZFOSi2HC-YCawDWZ9tV1TjknDPHWeGbJ98-um7FbSEl- WxoCbLAQAvD_BwE

and this Firman seems to offer a good value;

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Firman-W03083-3300-3000-Watt-Gas-Remote-Start-RV-Ready-Inv erter-Generator-with-USB-cETL-CARB/918307973?athcpid=918307973&athpgid=athenaItemPage &athcgid=null&athznid=PWVAV&athieid=v0&athstid=CS020&athguid=9772deb4-b90-16b284eb0b9 a02&athena=true

But at this point, not really looking to pay the $4200+ for the Generac off grid system

Any other options?

Nobadays
# Posted: 5 Jun 2019 14:34 - Edited by: Nobadays

...you will soon get "don't buy anything but a Honda," and if you have the budget, they are the way to go. We didn't have $2000+ in our budget so bought the Predator 3500 inverter/generator from Harbor Freight. Very quiet and has met our needs so far. I had a small compressor and skill saw running at the same time the other day... not a hickup. Consumer Reports has good things to say about them... and if you watch the sales you can pick one up for $699.

sparky30_06
# Posted: 5 Jun 2019 15:07

why are you having to cut into the wiring harness?

zorro
# Posted: 5 Jun 2019 15:51

Thanks for the input guys

I will have a look at the HF model; similar price, 2db quieter, but doesn’t have the remote start option which would be useful

In terms of the Generac – no idea why it needs to be cut/spliced into the wiring harness and am just going by what I have bene told by a Generac installer, saying that once it is fitted, the warranty is void

Clearly that leaves me concerned that I could have spent $2k and 2 months later, have a major issue which is not covered

Kamn
# Posted: 5 Jun 2019 16:40

The HF inverter generators can be stacked so you can hook 2 of them up together and double the output.
You can also look at getting a large genset like an Onen......try finding a low hour used model, plenty of them out there and great for off grid use

Kamn
# Posted: 5 Jun 2019 16:47

Sorry I spelled that incorrect, Onan

here is one listed in London Ontario just as an example
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-tool-other/london/onan-6300lp-genset-propne-generator/1429220 713?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Nobadays
# Posted: 5 Jun 2019 17:29 - Edited by: Nobadays

Remote start would be nice.... traipsing out in the snow to the generator in my longies at 5am then at 9pm does suck! I'm thinking I'm going to wire a kill switch so I don't have to go out to shut it down. We only use the genny for a couple hours in the morning and in the evening... during the day only if we are running power tools. Would be nice after breakfast and before bed to just hit a switch to shut it off.

I have seen online where guys are jury rigging the Predator for remote start. Seems like a bunch of fiddling though... if it just had an automatic choke it would be easy.

ICC
# Posted: 5 Jun 2019 18:38

Zorro, how much power do you need at any one time? Is solar not practical for some reason?

On the Generac I don't know why there needs to be any cutting of the wiring harness--- seems odd to me. But yes, on any of the permanent mount Generac warranty is void if there is no grid power to tie into. They come out to the site for any service claims and if they don't find grid power, no warranty. I have a friend with one of the Generac off-grid units. He has had to have warranty service a couple of times. They have looked after him well.

Brettny
# Posted: 5 Jun 2019 19:13

$2k can buy you a whole truck load of "used" generators from Craigslist. I paid $50 for my 3yr old 3500w with 240v that i have taken appart and was clearly hardly ran.

Prety much any generator in a prety tan case i would stay away from. Also some where in the fine print of most generators it will say "not for primary power". This will be your primary power to them if your not grid connected.

Also why 7500w? Do you have an electric water heater? Electric stove? Extra capacity in a generator is not always a good thing. More capacity in a generator even if you dont use it always means more fuel burnt than a few sizes smaller generator.

zorro
# Posted: 6 Jun 2019 09:04 - Edited by: zorro

Maybe i dont actually need the larger Generac to be fair

Couple of things I like about it (well, my wife likes about it ) is it is reasonably quiet, and can be toggled of/on from inside the cabin

However, any of the remote start units above likely satisfy both of the noise and easy start likes and are much cheaper

The main power draws in the cabin will be;

water well
my wifes hair drier (that is NOT optional!!)
maybe a coffee machine - but literally off and on

But daily use will be handled by what i hope will be;

1200W solar panels
8 x Trojan T105's

That will be for LED lighting, cell charging, etc

Stove, fridge will be propane

So probably the smaller (3000/3500W) HB or Champion units will work fine - pretty quiet and remote start options?

zorro
# Posted: 6 Jun 2019 11:36

So this looks like a good option;

3500W
Reasonably quiet
Remote start

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/new-product-350-100130872

Brettny
# Posted: 6 Jun 2019 12:32

What HP is the well pump?

zorro
# Posted: 6 Jun 2019 13:53

Not got the pump as yet - should be installed in a few weeks

So maybe should wait to see what they put in

But it should be a "standard" in ground pump, if such a thing exists?

Brettny
# Posted: 6 Jun 2019 16:28

No standard. 1hp pulls alot more than 1/2hp. I would ask for the smallest that will safely pump the water you need. The pump is going to be the biggest draw in the things you have listed.

zorro
# Posted: 6 Jun 2019 16:51

Thanks

Yep and that is why i think the pump will be connected to the generator, rather than the solar system to allow for the bigger draw

Everything else, being LED will be minimal - with minimal use of any coffee machine and the hair drier!!

SCSJeff
# Posted: 6 Jun 2019 17:34

Zorro,

Depends on how deep the well is too. If very deep, they'll recommend a 240v pump, which really complicates the generator needs. I believe Grundfos (sp?) does make 120v "slow start" pumps that can go pretty deep. But, if I recall, are pretty expensive compared to the norm...

Brettny
# Posted: 9 Jun 2019 07:18

I think your wise in running such a big electrical load on a generator. Running a well pump off solar can cost a fortune.

120v vs 240v as far as a generator goes i would pick 240v. You get less power line loss so can use smaller wire and place your generator further from your well and house. See my link on voltage loss in the usefull info section.

They do make jet pumps that are 120/240v but all this depends on the well depth and pump HP.

3500w generators that do 240v are out there but arnt popular due to most RVs only needing 120v@30a. 5000w generators that do 240v are more popular. If you go with anything 5000w and bigger look for one with electric start. You can make them remote start with a cheap $30-45 car remote start kit.

SCSJeff
# Posted: 9 Jun 2019 11:32 - Edited by: SCSJeff

The only things I would add to what Brettny said is that if you need 240v in a generator:

1) There goes your fuel efficiency and quiet for everything else when not needing the well pump. Unless you go with a Honda/Yamaha Inverter. But, then there goes your low cost

2) Both my primary residence and my cabin has 500' + wells. I've run both on generators. Even 5000 Watts really groans when the well pump kicks on. I don't think a 3500W generator would handle it...

I've been through this decision (and still working through it) at my cabin. I ended up putting a 65 gallon storage container inside the cabin that I fill from the well using our big/loud generator. I then use a shurflo 120v RV pump to pressurize the cabin. This can run off either the solar or my smaller 2000W Champion inverter (that runs whisper quiet and for like 12 hours on a tank of gas)

I think you're going to have to see what you end up with and/or can get away with for your well pump.

Oh, and BTW: I switched to a percolator on the gas stove for coffee. No electric and tastes better IMO

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 9 Jun 2019 11:45

I run a solar well at my place, its a DC system, can run on 12-36VDC, its a livestock well system, and not ideal for pressuring a system, but to fill stock tanks with water. If you have a cistern underground, you could have it fill it during the day at no cost. Mine runs water at about 2.8 gallons a minute, no different than turning on a sink faucet. Then you can have an on demand 12DC type RV pump at cistern located near cabin for on demand water pressure, taking from cistern, which can fill by day with solar/sunlight..

mj1angier
# Posted: 9 Jun 2019 20:26

We have this unit:
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/champion-power-equipment-100261-3400w-rv-re ady-portable-inverter-generator-with-wireless-remote-start?cm_vc=-10005

We have used it for 2 weeks so don't have long term report but our old smaller Champion has been a work horse. Key fob remote start is nice

SCSJeff
# Posted: 9 Jun 2019 21:53

mj1angier,

That's the exact model I'd like to upgrade to (from the 2000W that I already have). Could start/stop from inside the cabin. Although, the run-time isn't quite as long and a tad bit louder (according to specs), I think the remote start would outweigh that...

zorro
# Posted: 11 Jun 2019 10:57

I had looked at that Champion, which gets good reviews, fairly quiet and remote start…………………….

However, above posts suggests the well pump will struggle with anything around 3500W and should look at some around the 5000W and above range

Can still get the remote start option for the 5000W + generators, but a lot louder

Regarding the Generac I had looked at – the non EcoGen version, looks like that has a completely new electronic panel and is extremely difficult to fit up to a solar/off grid system

https://www.electricgeneratorsdirect.com/Generac-69981-Standby-Generator/p82546.html

That is info from a Generac certified engineer and also in speaking to a couple of online sales companies (Electric Generators Direct)

So looks as though due to the electronic changes, it may not be an option any longer and the only way you go is the 15KW Eco Gen version at around $4200

I simply don’t need that capacity, nor cost outlay!

SCSJeff
# Posted: 11 Jun 2019 15:21

Zorro,

I was very close to getting this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Champion-6250-Watt-Frame-Inverter-Technology/dp/B07KQ2P49Y

It doesn't have remote start. However, rumors say they will come out with a remote start version within the next year. Price is pretty good right now though...

zorro
# Posted: 11 Jun 2019 15:55

I read that you can actually convert them with a vehicle remote start system and it will work as a remote start – have not looked into it though

Makes sense as it is the exact same concept?

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 11 Jun 2019 16:35

I tried to find Champion parts center, absolutely nothing, even their websites, zilch for any parts. But you can get items like generator covers. Anyone else try to see if they even have an online store for parts? I had no luck.

rockies
# Posted: 11 Jun 2019 19:09

https://www.generatorguru.com/champion/

hamish
# Posted: 11 Jun 2019 21:43

Just call Champion directly, i have had parts sent to me no charge for units out of warranty.

Brettny
# Posted: 12 Jun 2019 07:42

Jeff that same inverter with a remote start will prob be $500 more if/when they come out. Look into how to make your own with a vehicle remote start. After all it is just 12v relays making contact. Nothing fancy. A few minutes with the generator and a volt meter and i could tell you what needs switched power and constant power to run.

SCSJeff
# Posted: 12 Jun 2019 09:33 - Edited by: SCSJeff

Brett,

You're right, I think once that generator gains in popularity, the price will end up around $1000. Add in Remote Start for another $150 -$200...

With a DIY Remote Start, wouldn't you need(or want) an automatic choke also?

Carolina
# Posted: 13 Jun 2019 03:25

Maybe you should consider these options https://generatoron.org/best-diesel-generator/? I think they have a good balance in price = quality, as well as how much power do you need, did you think?

. 1 . 2 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.