Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Creeky's latest system: the Raven
creeky
# Posted: 7 Jun 2019 17:46

Ah. I can't help myself.
Here's the board from a recent system on the test bench. 3kw CNBOU. Victron solar controller w/breaker. SISO solar array disconnect on the board.
All wiring/bus etc discretely enclosed.
The customers solar panels (6 345s) are on an exposed granite cliff. So the breakers along with lightening protection are out there. Better the fire happens on bare rock in the case of "kapow rumble rumble". Check out that box. Is that something?
Going to be one of my best yet. Especially at the price point. Hip hip for power off grid!
combinerbox2019.jpg
combinerbox2019.jpg
Raven48.jpg
Raven48.jpg

Scott G
# Posted: 7 Jun 2019 17:58

Looking slick.

rockies
# Posted: 7 Jun 2019 20:07

I can't find an article I had listing all the "extras" an off grid system should have. Things like remote switches to turn on the generator, exterior plugs and such.

Besides the basics like batteries, invertors and charge controllers what other bells and whistles should you consider adding?

Steve_S
# Posted: 7 Jun 2019 20:24

Hmmm just looked at their product site: Which is it ?

3kw with Charger or just inverter ? These are Pure Sine but High Frequency which have some other drawbacks. See REF below.

http://www.cnbou.com/3000w-inverter-with-charge/
or
http://www.cnbou.com/3000w-pure-sine-wave-inverter/

No remote, no interface to monitor or config. No switches to adjust battery settings (max dod etc). Definitely a "Value Inverter" and no massive copper coils which indicates HF vs LF and much cheaper.

REF on Inversion Methods by Magnum
https://www.magnum-dimensions.com/knowledge/high-vs-low-frequency-inverters/inversion -methods-explained-high-frequency-vs-low

creeky
# Posted: 8 Jun 2019 09:04

Yup. Its a high frequency inverter. Like many now. This one boasts dual soft start. So it'll kick start even a big motor.
Its one of the new DSP style pure sine inverters. Lots of large mfct have gone this route (koffSWkoff).
The advantage of DSP is it has very low overhead. This one probably comes in at 17w. So you know for a 3kw, like your old inverter, that's what 1/2? Less probably.
And they should have a very long lifespan. 15 year mtbf.
And, most importantly, they are inexpensive. So I get them programmed to my lithium battery with custom settings. And you have a 15 year system for a very reasonable sum.

Here's an SW I built. You can only see a bit of it unfortunately. But it was sent to me by a guy giving praises to the ease of moving the board. With the system on a board like this, you literally lift the system into place. Screw into the studs. Installed.

So here he and his boss have decided the old utilities room is now being turned into a master suite coffee bar (off grid luxury) and so, with the help of a buddy. He unscrewed the board. Moved it into a new closet screwed it back to the studs. So he was pretty happy with how easy it was to move. Obviously there was a bit of wiring involved.

I like how he mounted his Redwing BMS. That's one of the very first models shipped. Love those things. Doing it right. Ensuring its safe.

And finally, here's a pic from a build I did for a fellow on an island in the Caribbean. Way too much work. ha ha ha. But look at the result. Its a great story for another day.
sunsetonthepanels.jp.jpg
sunsetonthepanels.jp.jpg
movingday.jpg
movingday.jpg

creeky
# Posted: 10 Jun 2019 10:17

Just in: This is the new BlueBIRD BMS for the Raven. Fancy lights!

And, the LG Chem battery modules that were out by a mere .02v are, after a couple of hours on the balancer, now at .012v within balance.

That's very good and I'll take it! The advantage to the BlueBIRD over the RedWing is dual. One it offers dancing lights and fancy read outs. Two; for people using older equipment/chargers in particular, you can add a contactor for "YIKES" over voltage to protect your battery pack.

You don't need the contactor for most of my systems but with the Schneider SW, if I was off grid full time I would put one in.

I'm very pleased of course. The systems just keep getting better. We're very fortunate that so many researchers keep improving their tech. Thx you folks.
BlueBIRDBMS.jpg
BlueBIRDBMS.jpg

Wilbour
# Posted: 10 Jun 2019 12:09

This is great news. You had me a blinky lights!

ICC
# Posted: 10 Jun 2019 15:16

Love flashing lights and info

Nobadays
# Posted: 10 Jun 2019 21:03

Dang... bought mine too soon!

creeky
# Posted: 11 Jun 2019 08:40

The RedWing has some advantages still. One, it is active management. This is a very low overhead form of balancing. And two, it is proven reliable over long periods of time. I still lean to it for automotive or high vibration environments. No lights. Just lean effective balancing for the decades.

Nobadays
# Posted: 11 Jun 2019 09:19

I'm sure it will work fine! I am just about all wired up on the module side of things. Ran out of #2 cable and lugs, have some 4/0 lugs that I need crimped, and a few more conduit fittings so headed to town today to get the things I need. It's an hour one way to town so have been trying to get all I can done before making the trip. Once I get the modules charging off ghe generator and pretty well balanced (one module is 4 volts higher than the other 3) I will hook up the Redwing and let it do it's magic!

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.