Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Solar: Take #2
mj1angier
# Posted: 15 Jul 2019 16:02

So after fighting with Renogy for the past month trying to get all the items listed in my "Premium Kit", I finally had to get paypal to step in and get my money back. WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE EVER!!

So I am just going to put my kit together my self.
So far this is what I have planed:

3- 200w/ 24v panels-https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XQ18PW4/ref=pe_2640190_232748420_TE_sg_item

1-100v/ 50 a SmartSolar MPPT controler-
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073ZJ43L1/ref=pe_2640190_232748420_TE_item

3000w/ 9000w peak Charge/ inverter-
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PHPBMCG/ref=pe_2640190_232748420_TE_item

24v 100ah LiFePo battery-
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RKMGLLJ/ref=pe_2640190_232748420_TE_sg_item

Misc fuses, cables, connectors, mounting brackets...

I already have the 3000w genny to add to the mix.

The biggest (but most important in NC summer, lol) item I will be running is a portable ac, listed at 1200 watts, so I think it will be fine. Genny will run for that but batteries will last if I have to stop genny to refill fuel.

Panels will be on the roof, but I want to mount other items in Pelican cases to be able to bring home now until there are folks living near by- good neighbor will be full timer and share drive way.

Any thoughts?

mj1angier
# Posted: 15 Jul 2019 16:03

Oh, and the reason for Amazon is a $500 gift card, lol

justinbowser
# Posted: 21 Jul 2019 23:18

Do you really need an inverter that large? The big ones will usually use quite a bit of juice just sitting there doing nothing. I have a 1500 Watt Samlex inverter and it runs my LG 8000 BTU window unit just fine.

mj1angier
# Posted: 22 Jul 2019 10:47

I am trying to plan if power needs grow. At some point a refrigerator, cell phone booster, t.v.... will be added. I can add panels and batteries but if I out grow the inverter I will need a bigger one. I guess I could run two smaller ones and split the system into two systems...

justinbowser
# Posted: 22 Jul 2019 12:42

Or you could keep it as an emergency spare to power essentials while fixing/replacing the main inverter.

creeky
# Posted: 22 Jul 2019 14:34

All the loads you mention will/should run on the 1500 samlex. Great inverters btw.

Maybe the advantage to the 3000 low frequency will be the ability to run saws etc. I tend to suggest using the genny at that point. Or more than 3 of the bigger loads above at once.

One thing with the smaller psw inverters. They don't really like big sustained peak surge. So some saws within the operating spec won't start. Dagnabit.

Steve_S
# Posted: 22 Jul 2019 14:45

BTW I have been dealing with Samlex Tech on software things and found out they are presently cooking up EVO 4048 Stackable inverters, out this fall apparently.

creeky
# Posted: 23 Jul 2019 11:51 - Edited by: creeky

OOoo. Now that's good news. I wonder who's making them.
Of course the SW is a really good price point and proven reliable. I just wish the chargers weren't so big.

Steve_S
# Posted: 23 Jul 2019 12:10

Samlex makes their OWN they are an OEM.

My 4024 is so silent compared to my previous inverter and so much cooler too even when I am pushing hard loads (I had to max it to see, what fun)

woodspirit
# Posted: 24 Jul 2019 15:22

im also gonna do a 24 v system about the same as yours. 600W. Just wondered about the size of your inverter tho. wont that be running 24/7? they do use some power.
I love the life pro batteries too.

mj1angier
# Posted: 25 Jul 2019 06:49

Yeah it's going to use some juice just sitting there. But I will need to run my genny during the day to top off battries ( got a lot of shade and can't change that 3/4 of the year) But my main worry (like someone else is having in another thread) is being undersized for a/c and refrigerator. I can easy add more battery storage

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.