Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Sportsman Inverter Generator - seems a good price
. 1 . 2 . >>
zorro
# Posted: 30 Jul 2019 10:01

It wont run the whole cabin, but may be useful for some tools, TV, even a small Aircon unit when it gets really hot;

Seems like a good deal on a small inverter generator;;

Sportsman 2200

https://thd.co/2YygrtJ

Down to $299

Steve_S
# Posted: 30 Jul 2019 10:33

To good to be true it is... It's an HF Model and if you intend to run ANY motor (compressor, fridge, tablesaw etc) it will be a chuck away. Someone may argue with my College & University training in Electronics but, it is what it is.

BTW: WHy are Honda's so $$$ They are Low Frequency (hence heavier & costlier) but they won't die on motors. MANY of the "Cheapo's" are High Frequency because it is a lot cheaper to manufacture and makes them lighter in weight.

Brettny
# Posted: 30 Jul 2019 12:43

Thats not even on sale. I see them around that price all the time. They can put what ever price they want and cross it off but that dosnt mean its on sale.

zorro
# Posted: 30 Jul 2019 14:30 - Edited by: zorro

Ok

I thought it was a good price - everywhere else seems to be much higher than that

But if it is not good in terms of performance, almost irrelevant!!

Thanks

Brettny
# Posted: 30 Jul 2019 15:49

On second look those arnt a bad deal. However i i dont believe the original price. I with they still had the $150 1kw. I bought a qkw for $200. Thanks for posting this.

800w should be good enough for some led work lights, charge tool batterys and phones.

zorro
# Posted: 30 Jul 2019 19:57

Its 2200 starting and 1800 running

So i didnt think it was too bad really for that price

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 30 Jul 2019 20:32 - Edited by: toyota_mdt_tech

How about a nice little Yamaha powered brand X for $399 from Costco.
imageService.jpg
imageService.jpg

zorro
# Posted: 30 Jul 2019 20:39

I honestly dont know the difference in quality between the Yamaha and the Sportsman

Difference I can see from both units;

Sportsman - quieter, more power and $100 cheaper?

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 30 Jul 2019 21:06 - Edited by: toyota_mdt_tech

Quieter? One rated at no load. Most rate it at max load. $100 more for a Yamaha powered unit, cheaper initially. Cant user Sportsman over 3000 feet in elevation? Strange, wouldn't even work at my cabin. More power, possibly. All those Chinese over rate the wattage, I'd bet both wouldnt do their rating.

Personally, I wouldn't buy either, its cheaper to buy a Honda or Yamaha generator in the long run.

But I would think $100 more for a Yamaha engine upgrade is cheap.

Brettny
# Posted: 1 Aug 2019 07:44

I find it very hard to believe that the costco generator is not much more than a chinese clone with a yamaha label on it. Why else would they sell it at such a lower price compaired to there version of a honda eu2200?

We can compair every generator to a honda but not all of us have honda money. Im $265 into two generators. That sportsman 800w and a hardly used 4.2kw briggs i got for $50 that also does 240v. At this point all i keep at my property is trail cameras and BAIT. Bait to catch the first theif or person lurking around. I would be real hurt if my $1,000 honda went missing.

Atlincabin
# Posted: 1 Aug 2019 09:39

SteveS, can you elaborate on the low- vs. high-frequency inverter electronics or point me to a website that explains this? Always interested in a bit of education.

Thanks.

Aklogcabin
# Posted: 1 Aug 2019 10:24

In researching it appears that the Yamaha engines are made in China. Generac is made in USA .

Brettny
# Posted: 1 Aug 2019 10:26

Quoting: Aklogcabin
In researching it appears that the Yamaha engines are made in China. Generac is made in USA .

I find that there made in the usa had to believe. Where did you see that?

SCSJeff
# Posted: 1 Aug 2019 12:20

Brett,

Home Depot is showing the 1K model (minus the parallel capability) for $150 now...

I'm tempted (it just becomes a throw away at that price point). However, it's not quite enough to power a larger electric chainsaw or circular saw, etc

hamish
# Posted: 1 Aug 2019 20:15

Generac OHV engines are made off-shore , likewise many Honda and Yamaha motors are still produced in Taiwan (ROC......Republic of China for you southerners).
The quality of what the parent company gets is dependant upon the money they wish to spend.
Captialism in in the west, manufacturing is in the east, boils down to whos gonna charge you more for the same product.

Brettny
# Posted: 2 Aug 2019 06:20

Jeff i saw that but there are none in stock and cant be shipped.

As far as i remember generac juses briggs or kohler engines...the same ones that dont last more than 600hrs in a lawnmower.

SCSJeff
# Posted: 2 Aug 2019 10:12

Brett,

Bummer, I didn't notice that they were out of stock..

Aklogcabin
# Posted: 2 Aug 2019 10:46

Brettny, I did a search . Where are yamaha generators made . After going back I see some generac generators are made in Wisconsin some overseas. Seems that both Yamaha and Honda are not made in Japan. I’m not an expert internet guru or someone who has to try to convince others that because I have a certain brand every one else has to also by the same brand.
Or build the a certain way because they read about it on the net.

ChuckDynasty
# Posted: 3 Aug 2019 08:42

Just happened to watch a youtube (Hobotech) video on a 1000w Sportsman.
He powered a soft start 5000btu ac and put 850hrs on it before blowing a lot of smoke just before the 1 year warranty was up. He said he was shipping it back at their cost for warranty repair...don't know how that turned out.

Brettny
# Posted: 3 Aug 2019 09:30

Personaly for the price i paid for this thing i dont care where its made. Now if i spent $1200 on a honda i would care.

Chuck can you post the link to that video? A 5kbtu ac running on a little 800w generator sounds interesting. This little 800w runs 6hrs on a full tank (0.55gal) so thats prety affordable

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 3 Aug 2019 10:55 - Edited by: toyota_mdt_tech

Brett, a good rule of thumb, the BTU's is about how many watts is needed to run it. Start up will be higher.

I had a Coleman Polar Cub 9000 BTU roof mount on my enclosed trailer and my EU2000i would run it. That was about it aside from some lights, I couldn't do any other modest loads on it.

So a 5K BTU on a small gennie should be a snap.

ChuckDynasty
# Posted: 3 Aug 2019 17:20

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WF1dOtXA-oc
Quoting: Brettny

Chuck can you post the link to that video?

ChuckDynasty
# Posted: 3 Aug 2019 17:42

Another one after 9 months 750 hours. He has more on this generator as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKX2a4-iiYw

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 4 Aug 2019 19:29

As noisy as that thing was, I couldnt take it for 750 hours, it a been shot up around the 300 hour mark. Smoke would be good for mosquito's though.

paulz
# Posted: 4 Aug 2019 20:45

Quoting: Atlincabin
SteveS, can you elaborate on the low- vs. high-frequency inverter electronics or point me to a website that explains this? Always interested in a bit of education.

Thanks.

Yeah me too.

BTW my Generac has a Tecumseh engine. It's louder than a top fuel nitro dragster.

ICC
# Posted: 4 Aug 2019 22:45 - Edited by: ICC

Use Google Highlight "low- vs. high-frequency inverter electronics" in the above post, right-click and select "search Google for...." (works in Chrome -- don't use other browsers mostly so I don't know about them.)

http://www.xantrex.com/documents/Tech-Doctor/Universal/Tech-Universal_10_1.pdf

and-or

https://www.magnum-dimensions.com/knowledge/high-vs-low-frequency-inverters/inversion -methods-explained-high-frequency-vs-low

Brettny
# Posted: 5 Aug 2019 06:16

Thanks Chuck.

Considering hes shooting the video with the generator at his knees and just raising his voice i would think at the end of a 50' extension cord and being outside tou could barly hear this over the AC fan.

SCSJeff
# Posted: 5 Aug 2019 08:24

I see the YouTube guy has a new video where he just switched to a Westinghouse i1200. Hard to tell from the video, but, he says it is much quieter and smoother than the Sportsman... Also more expensive at around $380

Brettny
# Posted: 6 Aug 2019 08:06

The sportsman 2200w is $380 off sale right now. Thats prob what i would have got for the money.

groingo
# Posted: 8 Aug 2019 20:32

Sound level wasn't bad but that little motor is working at over 4,000 r.p.m.s.

. 1 . 2 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.