Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Maggots in the Outhouse
bbandeddie
# Posted: 11 Aug 2019 11:36

Right. This is a sh!tty topic so I’m just going to get to it.
We have a conventional pit toilet at our offgrid place. Been using one on this property for forty years. Not the same pit, mind you! I made a quick inspection this morning and noticed the surface is writhing in small maggots about 3/4cm long. I’ve never noticed maggots before in the pit or had a major nuisance fly population. I say “noticed” because I don’t inspect it often/hardly ever. We occasionally scatter pet bedding wood shavings over the top if it gets a bit rank. This summer I home-brewed some bokashi bran using the rice-wash/milk recipe, added water and sugar to the result and soaked it into some bran and let it sit for a bit. I scattered a layer of bokashi bran on the heap about two weeks ago. My inspection this morning was to see if there was any noticeable change after adding the bran. And...maggots. So. I don’t know if the maggots are simply a result of timing with the season and weather or because I added bran.

Any thoughts on maggots in the pit? Do I have a nightmare on my hands or is this normal?

DaveBell
# Posted: 11 Aug 2019 22:58 - Edited by: DaveBell

Use Powered Lime. Is this an outhouse? Post pictures of entire inside and outside (not the pit). Health dept. guidelines require these to be insect resistant. Stop feeding it wood shavings and bran.

jos_davies
# Posted: 8 Oct 2019 05:20

It's not a nightmare, it happens.

Twice that Dave said, but on lime... this is important.

There are two different kinds of lime.

Hydrated lime, slake lime, or "burn lime"- this is pure white. Hydrated lime is very caustic, so the bag will have a warning on it. This is the kind of lime you use for whitewash. This lime will burn you, do not breath it.

Agricultural lime, "ag lime", "garden lime", "barn lime" or dolomite - this lime is gray, this is safe for you and it will not burn. We spread this lime on our barn floor because it provides an antibacterial quality, dries out and "sweetens" the floor.

I really do not know what kind you want or to use, I would use the barn lime as it is what I have easy access to and neutralized the acids and smells, and is safe to be around.

old greybeard
# Posted: 8 Oct 2019 09:28

Do you have a screen on your vent pipe?

NorthRick
# Posted: 8 Oct 2019 16:40

Maybe a critter was attracted by the new addition and died in there and now the maggots are feeding on it?

SE Ohio
# Posted: 8 Oct 2019 20:29

Might be these guys? Good for fishing ( though I won't personally want to handle )

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rat-tailed_maggot

silverwaterlady
# Posted: 13 Oct 2019 12:30

We used to use the garden lime but it fills the hole.
We switched to powered lime.
Yes it will burn you. Just put the little shovel you used to scoop it in the hole a little way at arms length.

The reason you have maggots is because you are not using lime!

silverwaterlady
# Posted: 13 Oct 2019 13:23

P.S- add a small amount on top of each bm.
Never, ever any flies and the outhouse does not smell.

Some gross stuff but hey, it’s a cabin and my outhouse is very nice, clean and does not stink.

Look down the hole with a flashlight once a week. The poop is in a pile. Take a long sturdy stick and push the mountain of poo down. Flatten it out.

Check for spider webs. Stick a fly sweater down there get rid of the webs and kill the spiders.

Of course I sanitize the fly swatter. I just throw the stick in a hidden place outside and make sure I don’t touch the poo end.

If a lot of people are using the outhouse or it’s hot than slaking is what I do.
I pour 10 gallons of water down the hole and add a scoop of Septa Clean.
This smells awful for the day or two. So don’t do it before company comes calling.

You should be good to go for a few months after slaking.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.