Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Any families with teens living off grid?
chrisaberrant
# Posted: 19 Aug 2019 11:16

I have 2 teens and am curious if anyone has moved off grid with them as they think it will be cool, but I am not sure they fully understand the move. There is no cell service in the places I am looking!
1.png
1.png

Brettny
# Posted: 20 Aug 2019 08:51

You think it would be cool?

chrisaberrant
# Posted: 20 Aug 2019 10:45

Yes, especially when you have help of a very respected film crew wanting you to succeed .

redwolfguild
# Posted: 23 Aug 2019 12:20

I say go for it if you want, but if you go the TV show route, it will be a bogus experience. They will make stuff up that you wouldn't need to do. You will have a bunch of crew, lights, etc., totally ruining why you go off the grid in the first place.

Mountain high
# Posted: 16 Nov 2019 11:42

Just my personal feelings here so dont beat me up to hard , but i do not like all these off grid tv shows they only think about how they can publicize people for better ratings & more money & the reasonings people decide to live off grid comes from deeper more heartfelt place than that so i would not go that route but again thats just me , as for kids & cell phones , living off grid is about distinguishing the difference between luxuries & necessities kids do not need cell phones that is a luxury not a necessity but again my thoughts please dont beat me up to harshly , i do wish you good luck on you're off grid adventure & it is totally possible to live off grid with teens but it will be a life changing experience thats for sure

hattie
# Posted: 16 Nov 2019 12:35

Quoting: chrisaberrant
There is no cell service in the places I am looking!

I don't know anything about teens and living off grid but in the village I live there is no cell service. We all do just fine without it and I think if it was offered to us, most would say no. Sadly kids today think the world will collapse if they can't check their social media/phone every 5 minutes. It would be good to teach our young that it isn't so.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 16 Nov 2019 16:54

Quoting: hattie
they can't check their social media/phone every 5 minutes.

Wow, all the millennials or anyone from the participation trophy generation I know from work cant seem go 5 minutes without looking at their phone, its more like a minute, maybe 2 max.

silverwaterlady
# Posted: 16 Nov 2019 20:29 - Edited by: silverwaterlady

Imagine being a parent today. With all the stuff we had to teach our children to be good adults now there is the added burden of the internet and cell phones.

When I am spending time with a person I am offended if they can’t keep their nose out of their cell phone.
I always say something. My phone is out of sight when I’m hanging out or at the table. I always point this out to the offender.

I think it would be a good thing for young people to spend time in nature away from the internet and cell service.
They won’t have a choice but to finally pay attention to the beautiful sights, smells and sounds that nature offers.

I will not watch reality shows. Most of it is fake. I like to watch the real off grid people on YouTube.

sparky30_06
# Posted: 17 Nov 2019 07:49

Quoting: silverwaterlady
I like to watch the real off grid people on YouTube.

most of those people are fake and adding in additional drama to get more viewers to watch there channel so they can make money.

hattie
# Posted: 17 Nov 2019 12:40

Quoting: silverwaterlady
I think it would be a good thing for young people to spend time in nature away from the internet and cell service.
They won’t have a choice but to finally pay attention to the beautiful sights, smells and sounds that nature offers.

Amen to that silverwaterlady!!

silverwaterlady
# Posted: 17 Nov 2019 19:02

No. I don’t watch the people full of drama. I watch the people that are drama free.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 17 Nov 2019 19:22

The Alaska Bush Family now lives about 45 miles north of my cabin. In fact, I took a back country motorcycle ride up the WA back country discovery route from Concunully to Loomis which is close to where they live and was going to get lunch, restaurant was closed down, empty, film crew leased the entire building and they reside there. I asked where they all are, this was August and the locals said they are out vacationing somewhere, I guess they do it every year.

I like the show, like the kids, but see the fake stuff all the time.

FishHog
# Posted: 17 Nov 2019 20:29

I can’t believe that show is still on the air. I want to like it but can’t watch more than 5 min before I realize I don’t

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.