Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Depth of Discharge
mattd
# Posted: 19 Sep 2019 16:44 - Edited by: mattd

I figure I average 4 nights at the cabin a month, or what would be 4 discharges of a deep cycle lead acid battery. Call it 50 discharges per year.

Per the attached graph i'd get 700 cycles if i took it all the way to 30% power (70% discharge). That's 14 years worth of cycling!

Problem is my inverter shuts off at 10.1v, or what i believe is 50% of battery. Any way to customize that on a lower end inverter?
dod.gif
dod.gif

bill_bly_ca
# Posted: 19 Sep 2019 20:57 - Edited by: bill_bly_ca

The same datasheet you garnished your above graph from will have one for voltage vs DoD Here is one I had open as I was replacing the cell on a booster pack (Dumpster dived)

The red line is cell voltage for this battery 11.7V is 70% discharge

]dod

]
dod.jpg
dod.jpg

Brettny
# Posted: 20 Sep 2019 07:29

If your taking your batterys down to inverter shutting off il be willing to bet you get a few year at most out of them. You need more batterys or lithium to beable to use 70-80* of there capacity. Also no flooded lead acid battery will last 14yrs.

Did you calculate in the daily solar input if you have pannels?
What are your real loads? Some times it can be cheaper to push loads off on other items. For instance a cheap sportsman 800w inverter generator is under $200 shipped on jet.com. running that to say run a TV, fridge or other short term load in the middle of your trip may save batterys.

FishHog
# Posted: 20 Sep 2019 08:10

Quoting: Brettny
If your taking your batterys down to inverter shutting off il be willing to bet you get a few year at most out of them. You need more batterys or lithium to beable to use 70-80* of there capacity. Also no flooded lead acid battery will last 14yrs.

agreed, I'd never run a LA battery into the 10volt range. 12.2volts is about as low as I run mine if I can help it.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.