Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Shut-off Valve Required?
spencerin
# Posted: 3 Nov 2019 05:37

Curious to know if a shut-off valve is required with a propane tank. I'm going to have one appliance attached to it (a ventless wall heater). The reason I'm asking is because the tank itself has its own shut-off valve, and the heater has its own on/off switch also. It just doesn't seem necessary to have a third one. I could see maybe someone being mischievous and opening the tank when I'm not there, but I would think the heater's being off would prevent any gas from entering the cabin.

frankpaige
# Posted: 3 Nov 2019 08:15

My propane tank is not connected year round. During the summer, I worried about insects, crawling into the hose and building a nest. That was my reasoning for a shut off valve.
I know you have run through the safety issues in your head. Take care. Enjoy your place.

Sprinkler Guy
# Posted: 3 Nov 2019 08:19

Pretty sure all gas appliances are supposed to have a shutoff within reach of the unit for service. What’s the big deal? A valve and a couple fittings can’t be more than $15.

deercula
# Posted: 3 Nov 2019 08:44

Yes, I believe code requires it, and the appliance makers recommended it.

ICC
# Posted: 3 Nov 2019 09:30 - Edited by: ICC

If the heater or other device is directly attached to the propane cylinder valve, no other valves are needed.

If the device is connected to the propane tank with a temporary connection, like one of those extension hoses no extra valve is needed. Those hoses have a automatic stop valve in the end that connects to the heater or whatever. Those are not supposed to be used indoors though and never through a wall. And only temporary.

If you have rigid pipe or approved flexible tubing connecting the propane tank through the wall to the heater or whatever, then, by code, you need a shutoff where the heater connects.

Safety is one reason to meet code. The other is if you have insurance and have a claim, the insurer can refuse payment if a code violation caused or contributed to the claim. No matter how many years of premiums you paid.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.