Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Funny Thing About Solar Power
ArtifactJack
# Posted: 23 Nov 2019 20:44

I have a cabin at my family farm that I just turned into solar power. Funny thing was the electric company took down the grid line going to the old homestead a week before. I talked to them while they were taking down the poles, first thing they said while we were standing next to the cabin was "guess you are going solar". I had already wired and finished the cabin in the past months for solar. It was a joy to turn a light on after 10 years of no power in my cabin, with a flip of a switch or two(inverter).......anyhow I have 300 watts of solar panels, 30A charge controller, battery, 1000w converter for one light bulb. No taxes on your solar power...

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 23 Nov 2019 22:46

Quoting: ArtifactJack
No taxes on your solar power...

..........yet

darz5150
# Posted: 23 Nov 2019 23:55

Quoting: toyota_mdt_tech
..........yet

True. 🌞$$
Green New Deal. They need more of your green, so they can get a good deal.

creeky
# Posted: 24 Nov 2019 13:41

Enjoy. It really is just the best feeling turning on that inverter for the first time.

The freedom of creating your own power rules! Congratulations.

ArtifactJack
# Posted: 24 Nov 2019 16:11

I have had nothing but a propane heater at my cabin. Its only 14x20 with a sleeping loft and storage above the front porch. You guys have some great ideas and advice, so I am learning a lot of the ropes about off-grid living on here. I wired and insulated, installed paneling this spring. The power company wanted 2k just to hook me up. Then they charge you a monthly $30 dollar maintenance fee even if you don't use any electric, plus taxes. My property taxes would have also went up if I installed electric from the grid. My solar system cost was $800, but will probably add another battery, and 300w of panels later. I stay there around 3 days a week as I am semi-retired. Three lights and a radio right now. I was just happy to run a small vacum to clean up the beetle and stink bug attacks this fall.....solar rules.

Pathfinder0
# Posted: 25 Nov 2019 17:54

Down the line maybe look into a small wind turbine, like a 500w version, not one of those monstrous multi kw systems. Because it isnt always sunny, nor windy, but theirs a good chance it will be one of them.

ArtifactJack
# Posted: 11 Dec 2019 09:44

I was considering a wind turbine, but I don't have enough wind as my cabin sits in a valley. Enough power to run a small fridge for the summer, and a shallow well pump for the spring that is on the property. The county water line runs across my property, but a tap is around $1500 to install. No no no, Plan on staying off grid. I may become a prepper by default. You guys stay safe off grid. Being responsible for yourself is dangerous to society.....

drb777
# Posted: 11 Dec 2019 10:21

Quoting: ArtifactJack
Being responsible for yourself is dangerous to society.....

I've always thought that being responsible and self reliant was a big plus to society, but not for those in authority.

beachman
# Posted: 12 Dec 2019 09:34

Don't get too complacent. There will be a sun and wind tax coming eventually.

ArtifactJack
# Posted: 12 Dec 2019 10:02

I was being a little facetious with that last sentence drb777.......

offgrididaho
# Posted: 12 Dec 2019 10:40

Quoting: creeky
The freedom of creating your own power rules! Congratulations.

Wait until everyone around you has their grid power go out... even more fun to sit there with everything running

ArtifactJack
# Posted: 12 Dec 2019 20:01

Right idaho. The rural power line that they took down on my cabin property, goes out around 6 times a year due to trees, and branches falling. No big deal unless you need electric for heat, and in the winter you could freeze your butt off waiting for power. Off grid people don't use electric for heat. They just head for the cabin if the power is off..........the sun is life.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.