Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Battery Question
ArtifactJack
# Posted: 12 Dec 2019 21:09

I don't stay at my cabin all winter to keep my battery warm or from freezing. Its a AGM sealed battery, the solar system is still on charging it. What is your advice? It might get down to zero for a few days here in Ohio. Should I shut the solar system down, and remove the battery. But i do make it down there a couple times a week to heat the place up.........and check on the farm/cabin.

Nobadays
# Posted: 12 Dec 2019 22:52

I think you can relax! A fully charged AGM/FLA will not freeze until something like -75* F, at 80% charge to about -50* F. If you only hit zero once in awhile and your solar continues to keep you charged... no problems!

FishHog
# Posted: 13 Dec 2019 07:25

I leave mine in northern ontario all winter. As long as your solar is on, nothing to worry about.

If you have good batteries, you could even unhook the solar as a charged battery won't freeze, and you should get a few months on them before they self discharge to a level of freezing concern.

A poor battery will die and freeze if your not charging it, but then its a bad battery anyway. Winter will just let you know that.

And only talking Lead Acid here before the lithium guys tell you to upgrade

Nobadays
# Posted: 13 Dec 2019 08:05

Yep... upgrade to lithium!! Just kidding! I do run lithium for our cabin but just scored 2 AGM 6v 225ah batteries on Craigslist I am going to use to run our satellite internet and a wifi camera when we are not at the cabin. Because the AGM will still function at below freezing temps, not as well as at 55-60 but will work.

As FishHog says, cold weather will sort the good from the bad batteries. Our old 12v fla battery we used to run our water pressure pump was apparently bad. Left with a full charge in February when we were up was frozen to the point it had pushed the caps off when we got back in early May! It was a 6 year old marine deep cycle.

ArtifactJack
# Posted: 13 Dec 2019 09:13

Thanks guys. I planned on being there most of the winter, but due to family issues its not going to happen. I read thru the forum on battery topics and was a little confused. Your knowledge is greatly appreciated, as I don't want to be lugging that battery back and forth. Everybody have a safe and warm holiday. Thanks again.

creeky
# Posted: 13 Dec 2019 13:27

Ya. Just helped a guy build 21 LTO battery packs. For very cold weather use (down to -30)

Should have pics in a few weeks. Lithium rules. smile.

Lead loses capacity as it gets colder. But it ages slower. So. I would put a "battery tender" panel on them.
Did 5 years with lead. Full time. Off grid. Never again. But it wasn't horrible either. Just more work.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.