Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Help with wood stove occurence
neb
# Posted: 5 Jan 2020 12:38

Has anyone every had a whuffing sound from your stove after just getting it going? I'm hoping for some answers to why it did that. After it got going the sound stopped and everything burned fine and very well.

The chimney is totally clean so that shouldn't be the issue.

What are your thoughts??

Aklogcabin
# Posted: 5 Jan 2020 12:45

Means it was going reallllly good!

neb
# Posted: 5 Jan 2020 13:15

^ you mean I don't have anything to be concerned about?

Eddy G
# Posted: 5 Jan 2020 13:48

Did it rumble a bit and then make a Wooooosh sound like a rush of air being sucked through, up and out?
Sort of like a rocket?
Then yes I believe that’s normal.
I get that in our stove when it heats up to full temp

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 5 Jan 2020 16:42

Quoting: Aklogcabin
Means it was going reallllly good!

My thought too, probably trying to pull in more air, so you get a pulsing sound as the inlet isnt enough for the outflow.
Yeah, she was a rip snort'n. Good way to get it going and temps of flue to specs.

Careful not to overheat it. I did add a magnetic temp gauge to monitor flue temps to keep it in the sweet spot so it doesnt overheat. My pipe from stove to ceiling support box is single wall, so magnetic gauge works well.

neb
# Posted: 5 Jan 2020 21:53

Yes, that was the sound and I appreciate all your help and knowledge.
I haven't used the stove much yet but will be going to the ranch more now.
Thanks again I just haven't heard that sound before. The chimney was cold and I do have a large fire box then before in this stove. I may want to give a little more air when first starting the fire. I only have dampeners on the door and back of stove no inline dampener in pipe going up through the roof.

Brettny
# Posted: 6 Jan 2020 07:55 - Edited by: Brettny

Idk if I would call this normal. It can happen when your not letting enough air into the stove after getting the fire going real good.

Just open the air inlet a bit more.

bushbunkie
# Posted: 6 Jan 2020 20:11

Never hurts to ask Neb...wood stoves pump out major heat and you want to be sure nothing is wrong with your operation. I made the mistake last year of being overzealous...and freezing...so I pumped too much wood into my stove and the back got red...never saw that before, so I quickly opened the doors and let her burn down...lesson learned.

Aklogcabin
# Posted: 7 Jan 2020 09:29

Yes neb. It can be normal. Sounds like you have what is referred to as an airtight woodstove . If you opened more air while it is huffing like that you’re probably going to get more flame.
My dad taught me to hold one sheet of newspaper back when starting a fire when I was a kid. Put it on top of your wood when starting a fire. This sends hot air up the chimney to start a good draft.
Every woodstove has its intricacies. The stove and pipe are made to withstand the heat n flames. Biggest problem is cleaning so the creosote in chimney doesn’t catch fire. You’re system is all new. You should not be afraid of it.
Good luck, stay warm as most of us stay hot, n enjoy that cabin even more.

neb
# Posted: 7 Jan 2020 13:29

Thanks again for all knowledge, tips and experience you have shared.

The stove is a home made stove just like I have had before but larger then old home made stove.

This stove is for a 10x16 cabin at the ranch so it is nothing fancy but provides heat the days I am there.

It really does heat, run and works well for what time I have used it.

The wood I use is very dry and most has been in storage for over 4 years and was dry before I had it shed stored.

LoonWhisperer
# Posted: 8 Jan 2020 12:59

Quoting: Aklogcabin
My dad taught me to hold one sheet of newspaper back when starting a fire when I was a kid. Put it on top of your wood when starting a fire. This sends hot air up the chimney to start a good draft.

Something my dad taught me as well

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.