Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Where to keep my 12V battery
claudester
# Posted: 27 Feb 2020 09:31

I'm building a 12x28 cabin and will mainly be using a generator so I'm wiring for AC. I will be adding a couple of 12V lights and a over a range hood fan so I will need a 12V battery to power those. My question is, Is it O.K. to keep the battery inside the cabin and when charging it I would be taking it outside by the generator.
Thanks Much

Atlincabin
# Posted: 27 Feb 2020 09:45 - Edited by: Atlincabin

If in an area that is ventilated, no problem. If you get a flooded lead acid battery, you have to maintain it (add water occasionally) and typically they cause corrosion in any local metal (look at an old car battery sometime). If it were me, I would either get an AGM battery (no real maintenance required) or, better yet, a lithium battery (no maintenance, holds more power for the same size, lighter weight to lug in and out). Downside is that flooded battery is cheaper than AGM is cheaper than lithium.

I have had 4 large AGM batteries inside my cabin, not much larger than yours, for many years.

claudester
# Posted: 27 Feb 2020 09:53

Thank you for the response. I've been using these deep cycle batteries for years with travel trailers with no problems. They are sealed. But never had them inside so I was just wondering about having a problem inside. Probably won't have to charge them but once a month.
Thanks
Again

claudester
# Posted: 27 Feb 2020 09:57

Also, What gauge wire should I be using to run from the battery to the bus bar for the 12V run to lights

Nobadays
# Posted: 27 Feb 2020 10:12 - Edited by: Nobadays

With no more use than you indicate... it wouldn't take much solar to keep the battery/ies topped up. Probably 1, 100 watt panel and a cheap Chinese charge controller and bam! You aren't lugging batteries in and out! This is not complicated or expensive... check out diysolarforum.com lots of similar setups if you search around on there... and great help.

To be sure you would need to calculate your usage but if you are just using 12v lights - LEDs? - and a fan while cooking.... little chance you will be digging too deep into your batteries.

For the original question, even with AGM/ sealed batteries it is good practice to keep them in a sealed/vented to the outside box... they can vent if accidentally over charged or crack. Even if toting them in and out a sealed box of some sort to avoide accidental electrical shorting.

Nobadays
# Posted: 27 Feb 2020 10:27

Wire size is determined by your amperage draw. If this is truly all you are powering...
Quoting: claudester
I will be adding a couple of 12V lights and a over a range hood fan
my uneducated guess would be 12 guage to the buss bar.... be sure to fuse this line right at the battery. Rule of thumb... 1.5 x expected amperage for the fuse size.

Just be aware.... it is easy to keep adding lights, chargers.... maybe a little inverter, and pretty quick you have exceeded what your original wiring was designed to do... be careful!

claudester
# Posted: 27 Feb 2020 10:35

Thanks much!
I think the most I will be putting in there is 5 or 6 LED lights and that hood fan so I'd probably be good with 8 gauge to be safe. Sound O.K.

Nobadays
# Posted: 27 Feb 2020 10:42

Take a look at this webpage.... I think it will help!
here

Brettny
# Posted: 27 Feb 2020 12:31

I wouldn't bother with 12v stuff. Just make it all 120v and run a small inverter to the 120v lighting. A lot less work and easy to change bulb wattage in the end.

FishHog
# Posted: 27 Feb 2020 13:00

I on the other hand like my 12v stuff. I ran 12v to everything. Great selection of 12v led lights out there. I ran 120 to one spot and only run my inverter when I need to charge my laptop or electric razor.

all my lights, phone charger, propane detector, water pump are all 12. Its easy and low voltage.

However if your running a lot of 120v stuff, Brettny is right. So I think its worth determining your needs first as we are all different.

sparky30_06
# Posted: 27 Feb 2020 14:00

don't most 120vac light bulbs have a driver in them to drop down to 12vdc or 24vdc anyways? So turning dc in ac then back to dc you get power loss

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.