Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Inverter Issues - alarm Sounding
zorro
# Posted: 2 Apr 2020 14:18

Looking to see if you have any suggestions
My system is as follows;

• 3 x Hansol 340W Solar Modules (Vmp – 38.3, Imp – 8.88, Voc – 46.1, Isc – 9.5)
• SRNE 60A MPPT Charge Controller
• Samlex 1500W 24VDC Sine Wave Inverter
• 8 x Trojan T105 Batteries
• All cables are #2 Gauge

I also have a battery charger, linked to my generator to back feed the batteries when required

All batteries were on a trickle charge over winter and I just put them back into the system and all are reading 6.34 - 6.38V………………so fully charged

I have 15 LED lights, some electrical outlets for cell charging and a small refrigerator (which has not been switched on as yet) – nothing else

My issue is that as soon as I switch the Inverter on, an audible alarm sounds non stop

It continues to work but the alarm keeps going

The CC shows (at 8pm) –

• Bat Vol = 24.9V
• PV Vol = 9.1V
• BatSoc = 75%
• Load State = off

From what i can read on the net, this appears to be “voltage drop/related” due to a few potential issues;

• Batteries low
• Incorrect cable Gauge
• Power drain somewhere

But I cannot figure this out – I have an electrician (guy who fitted the system) coming out next week to look, and hopefully identify the issue, but does anyone have any suggestions as to where to focus in on?

Thanks

DartNorth
# Posted: 3 Apr 2020 01:00

What is the voltage at the inverter when it's off, and when turned on with nothing plugged into it?

Are the battery terminals clean?

zorro
# Posted: 3 Apr 2020 08:53

Hi

Thanks for the reply

I will not be back there till the 10th to check the voltage reading unfortunately at the inverter

In terms of the batteries - yes, they are actually brand new and clean and the terminals are all tight

Thanks for the reply though

zorro
# Posted: 12 Apr 2020 19:52

Ok

So "I think" i may have figured out my issue - need to speak to Samlex tomorrow

According to the instruction/spec sheet of the inverter, the audible alarm should go off at 21.4 Volts and shut down at 20 Volts

However, my alarm goes off EVERY time when it hits exactly 25 Volts

So looks as though the inverter has been set "too high" and I dont see any way to change this

So will need to speak to Samlex and see what they say - should still be under warranty

Brettny
# Posted: 13 Apr 2020 09:27

Download the manual. It should tell you how to change things.

zorro
# Posted: 13 Apr 2020 09:44

Hi

Thanks

I have done that but it does not mention anyway to change the settings that I can see

Brettny
# Posted: 13 Apr 2020 10:40

You must have the wrong manual then. That's a pretty basic setting to change.

zorro
# Posted: 13 Apr 2020 11:11

Its not the wrong manual - it was in the box and the same one on their website

Just spoke to Samlex

No way to change the settings

Looks like a faulty unit and awaiting the warranty dept calling me back

zorro
# Posted: 13 Apr 2020 13:07

Yep - faulty unit, with the audible alarm clearly set at the wrong voltage of 25V (should be set to 21.4V and cut off at 20V)

No way to change it

So RMA issued and Inverter being returned

Thanks

Brettny
# Posted: 13 Apr 2020 15:20 - Edited by: Brettny

Ops double post hours appart.

zorro
# Posted: 13 Apr 2020 15:29

OMG - are you serious?

No way to change it in the manual

Samlex technical support confirms it cannot be changed

Samlex Warranty support confirms it cannot be changed

Samlex have issued a return for a faulty unit

There is no manual workaround or any way to change this - at least not as far as the manufacturer of the unit is aware of?

ICC
# Posted: 13 Apr 2020 15:40

Samlex makes pretty good, but rather basic equipment. I have used several of their products for lower budget projects; projects that did not warrant Outback, Midnight or Schneider. Some equipment does have a few user adjustable settings, usually by dipswitches, but not much. Better made equipment than a lot of other names. And Samlex customer care is good enough.

zorro
# Posted: 13 Apr 2020 15:48

I have no idea what they do with every model

What I do know is 2 different departments in Samlex and the manual tell me that the voltage alarm can not be adjusted by me

Maybe they can update the firmware or replace a small
Component/resistor or something, I have no idea

But I cannot change it which is why they confirmed that they have had a few returns with this issue and have authorized a replacement

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.