Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Powering an RV Air Conditioner
2nd House
# Posted: 5 Apr 2020 15:14

Hello,
Just curious if anyone has had success with a spit phase inverter that has enough power to start an RV air conditioner?
They have a substantial start up surge.
Thanks for the help

Brettny
# Posted: 5 Apr 2020 15:48

You would need to know the specs of each.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 5 Apr 2020 18:06

How many BTU AC unit? I ask because if its a 13,500, (most common single units) expect about 13.5 amps. I did lots of research on this and found the parallels. If you have a 15,500BTU, you will need a 20 amp circuit minimum (about 15.5 amps start up). Most RV's will have a 30A 110V set up unless its got dual AC units, then it uses a 50A circuit.

2nd House
# Posted: 5 Apr 2020 19:13 - Edited by: 2nd House

This is a 50 amp RV
Both AC's are Dometic's
The main unit of 15K BTU is on Line A
The Bedroom unit of 13K BTU is on Line B
Both have dedicated circuit breakers of 20 amp.
They do not have a soft start capacitor

My Split Phase Propane Generator easily starts everything, even when I throw everything on all at once, including the AC's on both Hot Lines all at once. However, this Generator has a 10K Watt peak with 8K continuous.

So, I'm not sure if I want to gamble on the inverter I like, which is the Split Phase MPP Solar LV 5048, which is rated at 5K watts, 2,500 watts per Line.
So, at 2,500 watts per Hot Line, I'm not entirely sure if the MPP Solar Inverter could handle the high surge of these A/C,s

I'm trying to find someone who has had success, running RV AC's on a split phase inverter. If so, I would love to know what Inverter they are using.

In addition, this is a Backup system im building, normally grid power is restored in 2 - 4 hours. The batteries will be recharged by the grid, or generator, which ever comes first. I currently will not have panels...maybe sometime in the future.
Thanks for the help

Nobadays
# Posted: 5 Apr 2020 19:23

Not that folks here won't help but... when it comes to battery based (solar usually) with inverters and chargers... the DIY Solar forum has a lot of guys building systems in RV's like you are doing. You might shoot over there and ask around. HERE is a link to that forum.

One side note, I haven't seen a lot on there pertaining to Volt or Leaf modules... some but mostly LiFePo spoken there.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 5 Apr 2020 23:30

OK, my reply was based on my experience. I was searching for an AC unit that my Honda EU2000i would run on for my enclosed trailer. This is when I discovered the BTU vs start up amp parallel I mentioned earlier.

I did end up with a Coleman Polar Cub 9000btu AC unit with no problem on the Honda EU2000i inverter generator. And start up amps was "9 amps". That is my only experience with an inverter power source and an AC unit.

OP, you mentioned an RV AC unit, then followed up you have 2 RV AC units. So you want to start "two" RV ac units? Or just "an" RV AC unit? You can isolate one by flipping the breaker.

Brettny
# Posted: 6 Apr 2020 06:23

I think you will find that this is going to be very expensive very quick just to run the AC for 2-4hrs.

27kbtu ac is alot to run off an inverter or batteries.

FishHog
# Posted: 6 Apr 2020 09:08

realistically unless your going to run a generator or have grid power, its not feasible. I looked into this when I was building my camper van. Just too much power draw.

If you have a huge solar array and all kinds of sun, and a very expensive battery bank, then maybe. But as much as I hate generators, its the only realistic way if you really need AC.

I went with a small fan in our van and am actually impressed how much it cools, but we still have the odd sweaty night on the hot days.

2nd House
# Posted: 6 Apr 2020 11:14

So my two AC's are on separate lines, and seperate breakers, plus the thermostat control panel allows me to choose which zone to turn on. So it's easy to isolate one AC from the other.
I plan on using the smaller bedroom AC at night when I sleep.
I thoroughly understand that solar may not be enough to power an AC...at least for an extended time. However, I would like to know that the inverter I go with has enough juice, to start the AC.

If I have a power failure at night, when I want the AC on, I'll probably have to resort to the generator, which drinks propane like it's going out of style.
The perfect scenario, and because this is for backup only, is if a power failure occurs, I can run one AC Off Grid, for the 2 - 4 hours until Grid is restored.
I do know that folks have had success with the AIM 6K spit phase...but it's sort of an old style, yet it apparently is reliable for as long as it's been around.
Thanks for the help

Brettny
# Posted: 6 Apr 2020 13:01

So your looking at roughly $3k in two inverters able to run both AC and that's just for the inverters....$3k buys a bell of alot of propane.

2nd House
# Posted: 6 Apr 2020 13:41 - Edited by: 2nd House

I dont like the noise..and it keeps the Racoons awake

Nobadays
# Posted: 6 Apr 2020 20:08

If you are looking for an inverter/charger for the lithium modules you were asking about, seriously look at the Victron equipment. They are well spoken of as both inverters... and more importantly are reliable chargers able to be set up to charge lithium correctly.

silverwaterlady
# Posted: 14 Jun 2021 08:37 - Edited by: silverwaterlady

When we bought our travel trailer we were told to never use our ac with 110/15 amps household currant. It would burn out the unit voiding our warranty.
Our plug hookup is 30 amps. Small trailer.
When we are hooked up to 30 amps in a campground, we shut off the air to use anything that requires a lot of power so we don’t blow a fuse.
There is plenty of information about this online.
Many websites will say yes you can run your RV ac off of 110 you just need to be careful.
In our case there is no need to take a chance and ruin our ac or electrical system in our travel trailer.

gcrank1
# Posted: 14 Jun 2021 09:26

Have you looked into the 'Power Wall' units. They stay charged from the grid, when it goes down the transfer is almost seamless and you are 'on the Wall'. Grid comes back up and recharges the Wall, no muss, no fuss.

JoeHarris
# Posted: 22 Oct 2023 09:35

Yes, it is possible to start an RV air conditioner with a split phase inverter. However, you will need to make sure that the inverter is powerful enough to handle the surge current.
The surge current of a portable rv air conditioner can be up to 3 times the running current. So, if your air conditioner has a running current of 10 amps, you will need an inverter that can handle at least 30 amps.

travellerw
# Posted: 22 Oct 2023 12:30

RV Digital Soft Start. Yes they are expensive. Yes they work. Reduces the surge almost completely.
https://www.softstartrv.com/

No, this is not just a capacitor. Its a circuit based soft start with an algorithm.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 22 Oct 2023 12:59

Quoting: 2nd House
Hello,
Just curious if anyone has had success with a spit phase inverter that has enough power to start an RV air conditioner?
They have a substantial start up surge.
Thanks for the help

Here is what I have found, the BTU rating is close to amps needed for initial start. It will be at max once system is under pressure vs first start where pressures are equalized from setting (about 65 PSI).
Lets say you have a 13,500 BTU AC, it will take about 13.5 amps at start up.

I had a 9000 BTU unit on top of my enclosed cargo trailer, I installed that because my Honda EU2000i would run it. But that was it for that genny, no more heavy loads.

Small 5000 BTU window unit, about 5 amps.

Is inverter rated honestly.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.