Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Why I hate 220v rant
paulz
# Posted: 7 Apr 2020 16:21

So last week when I got my new to me diesel genny going, I went to plug in my compressor for a test. Looking forward to finally having air out here.

Oops, different plugs. So back home in the ghetto I grab all my 220 stuff. Try as I might, not one fits the genny! 3 prong, 4 prong, straight, diagonal, L shape in, L shape out, different diameters..

Why?

Dammit.
0407201252_HDR.jpg
0407201252_HDR.jpg

darz5150
# Posted: 7 Apr 2020 16:40

Looks like a twist lock style. ?

darz5150
# Posted: 7 Apr 2020 16:42 - Edited by: darz5150

Just checked Amazon. Got a few to choose from. Just search 220 twist lock plugs. 👍

darz5150
# Posted: 7 Apr 2020 16:51

Here's a pic of one that fits one of our gennys.
Just stick it in and twist to lock it.
Twist lock plug
Twist lock plug

paulz
# Posted: 7 Apr 2020 20:12 - Edited by: paulz

Thanks Darz. I went through this on my well pump generator, has the same twist lock plug. First one I bought looked right but the diameter was larger
Next one had the one leg with the L bent in instead of out. Those I bought online. This time I will buy one local. To compound matters I may want an extension cord.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 7 Apr 2020 21:46 - Edited by: toyota_mdt_tech

You need to look at the amps obviously, then the smaller number ie L-14 etc, this is critical. They dont want you plugging in a 20 amp cord into a 30 amp plug. I think the L1430 is what you are after.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Reliance-Controls-Twist-Lock-30-Amp-125-250-Volt-Plug-L14 30P/202216504

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078BNBYXR/ref=psdc_3480710011_t3_B001TQAODC

Brettny
# Posted: 8 Apr 2020 06:39 - Edited by: Brettny

By the looks of it you need a 240v 20a twit lock. There not that normal on generators but I own one that has one.

The one that earns posted is 30a I believe. The bent leg in ones are ususly the first to sell out in a poweroutage. I also say keep one on hand.

It looks like your collection dosnt have what looks like a normal 120v with one bar turned...so your collection has room to grow. Lol

I always just take a pic of the plug/recp. Then dig around in my electric stuff or go to the store. There is a NEMA number on them if you ever need to order one online.

Edited

sparky30_06
# Posted: 8 Apr 2020 07:40

If you look closely at the plug or cord end you will see a NEMA number that is the reference number that you need to get the correct plug. plugs are made differently to represent voltage and amperage so, when wired and protected properly, you can't hook the wrong voltage or protection up to your piece of equipment.

old243
# Posted: 8 Apr 2020 09:15

If you are unable to find the proper ends, to plug into the original receptacle on generator . You might get a modern twist lock receptacle, to mount in gen control panel. and mount in place of original. Or bring wires out into a junction box, and mount it some where on generator. If you don't intend to move it and it is undercover , you might hard wire it to a short cord and a female end. If you do this be sure to maintain proper grounding. I am a retired electrician, I remember all the ul and nema numbers changing, the was quite a shemozzell getting it all figured out. I tend to also , cobble my own stuff up, but keep it safe 220 will bite.old243

paulz
# Posted: 10 Apr 2020 10:14

Thanks guys. I found the NEMA number on the socket. Also found the right plug, but when I removed the old one and stripped the wires back the insulation grumbled and fell off. Odd, the outside sheathing looked fine, no signs of burning. Just got new cable, another project for next week.
0407201532_HDR.jpg
0407201532_HDR.jpg

old243
# Posted: 10 Apr 2020 14:48

looks like a case of old age. Glad to see you were able to get things figured out. Usually more than one way to skin a cat. old243

FishHog
# Posted: 10 Apr 2020 16:26

Quoting: old243
looks like a case of old age.

Paul I think he just just called you old. The nerve.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.