Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Underground cistern
Kboy62
# Posted: 24 Jun 2020 08:45

I have an off grid cabin in southern New Hampshire used mainly in colder months. I’m tired of hauling in water especially since access once the snow flies it is by walking and bringing supplies in by sled a 1/4 mile. For various reasons we’ve decided to bury a cistern and have water hauled in. We will only use the water for dishes ,showers and watering a small garden and either bring drinking water or filter melted snow if needed. A plastic cistern is not feasible as cost is prohibitive due to shipping. So the big question is what to use? As of now we’ve decided on a 1500 gallon monolithic septic tank (a new one) with a pvc liner plumbed with a dc pump connected to my solar system with a freezeless hydrant. It’s been very hard to find the pros and con of using a septic tank for this purpose. While I can’t see why this wouldn’t work, I’m no expert. I have enlisted the services of a local septic design and installation guy but this is uncharted territory for him too. There are no water sources and a well would be in the neighborhood of $20,000 as we are on the top of a mountain. I already have about 150 gallon capacity in rain barrels but they are of no use in the winter. Final question... could we drink the water from this cistern if filtered through a sawyer backpacking filter? No one seems to know if there is any thing used in the making of a septic tank that would be harmful even after filtering not the installer, the company that’s sells them or even the company that makes them

Aklogcabin
# Posted: 24 Jun 2020 08:48

Sounds worth a try to me. I use a MSR water purifier for drinking water a highly recommend. Good luck.

Brettny
# Posted: 24 Jun 2020 09:13 - Edited by: Brettny

If your going to all this trouble you should really be considering useing a FDA approved tank for potable water. something you cant change later.

Are you sure a concrete tank with a liner is cheaper than a plastic tank? Usually plastic tanks are roughly $1 per gallon. If shipping is the killer try getting two sphear 600gal tanks.

I dont think someone who is designing septic systems is going to be much help in this situation. You dont want a septic tank you wan an underground potable water tank. Theres a difference and the price is about the same. One thing you need to make sure you get is a tank that dosnt need to be kept full. Some plastic tanks need to be kept full to not cave in.

How are you going to fill this tank? Rain water? Is your roof shingles or metal?

Kboy62
# Posted: 24 Jun 2020 11:59

I’m sure a plastic tank is more expensive... a lot more. A 1500 gal mono tank is $1300 delivered . The only company that would Return my call offered a 1750 gallon Plastic tank for $1950 and $821 shipping if I got it delivered somewhere in town and then I would have to figure out how to get it to the woods! You do lose some water volume with a plastic tank as they must remain a 1/4 full to keep them from floating up. I’m kind of stuck working with who And what is available. I found a local off grid water “expert” but he was all talk. I will be trucking water in to fill the tank. My original plan was to fill the tank from my gutters but there are too many complications with that that just add to the expense. The thing is I don’t necessarily need this for potable water as washing, showering and watering use the majority of my water. My wife is skiddish about using the water for drinking even out a plastic tank unless it were to be bpa free (which is somewhat irrational and would be more expensive than a well!). Regardless of what I put in the ground the water would have to be filtered before drinking as the delivery guys around here all have 18 wheelers for potable water delivery. The best I can do is a guy with a truck that has a 3000 gallon stainless steel tank that “can go anywhere” but is not guaranteed potable. In an emergency I would filter and drink the water in a heartbeat though! I do agree with you a plastic fda approved plastic tank would be ideal but the cost and logistics just don’t work for me

Kboy62
# Posted: 24 Jun 2020 19:15

I love my Sawyer filter. Probably too big for those worried about size and weight but comes with the ability to attach to a water bladder. Also attaches to faucet at home and can be flushed out by running the water backwards thru the output end. Advertised to be able filter water for 2 people for 35 years

Irrigation Guy
# Posted: 24 Jun 2020 20:30

Between the tank purchase, install, and water delivery charges you will be nipping at the heels of that $20,000 well install. Maybe scrimp anther year or so and drill the well. Also, you can save a bundle by having well guy drill your well and you set the pump.

Kboy62
# Posted: 25 Jun 2020 06:07

I think the total cost is gonna be $5000-7000 but I’m waiting on the quote and I’ll keep u posted. Water delivery will add up eventually but at max $400 a year. Oh, my off grid neighbor with the $20,000 well? Waters not potable. 😩

Kboy62
# Posted: 25 Jun 2020 06:38

I’m afraid I was so long winded in making sure I provided enough info that the big question was lost. Does anyone know if there’s anything in the concrete that makes the water toxic or carcinogenic that can’t be filtered? Not using a pvc filter will save some $$.

Brettny
# Posted: 25 Jun 2020 09:52

You may be thinking about this all wrong. Why not setup two tanks? One smaller, maybe 55gal drum that you buy new for potable water. You can fill this from home with jugs or say s 30gal tank on a trailer.

Then collect rain water for the rest. Yes you still need a underground tank for non freezing water.

Kboy62
# Posted: 25 Jun 2020 09:58

I have 150 gallons in rain barrels already but they are of no use in winter which is when we spend the majority of our time. Lugging water in winter is no fun. Pulling 250 pounds of water a 1/4 mile on a sled gets old fast! Even then I still have to resort to melting snow for showers and dishes. I’m not getting any younger!

Brettny
# Posted: 25 Jun 2020 12:07

You also need to store enough and bring enough water in in the fall to last all winter? How many gallons do you really need?

Kboy62
# Posted: 30 Jun 2020 07:49

About 750 gallons to get me from when the rain barrels freeze til spring

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.