Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Shower house project
xtolekbananx
# Posted: 27 Jul 2020 15:27

I'm starting to build a shower house, it is going to be 8x8 with shower enclosure inside and a changing room. I have 300 gallon and two 55 gallon rain water tanks right next to it. I plan on using the eccotemp L7 propane heater URL with 12v pump. I have no power so I plan on buying a 50 watt solar kit as I have plenty of sun in that spot. Don't know what battery to get how many AH? Is the 50 watt solar kit also big enough? Can I go smaller to maybe 30 watt? The 12v pump is going to be URL. I up there every weekend and sometimes I have guests and also I would use the pump to wash ATVs. Thanks for the input.

jhp
# Posted: 27 Jul 2020 16:24

7.5 amp draw on 12 volts @ 50 PSI running 100% for 1 hour would be 7.5 amp hours. More realistically that would be four 15 minute showers per day and even then it's pretty conservative estimate as I would expect the pump to draw less than 7.5 amps that whole time.

Most batteries you don't want to take down below 50% charge so you'd be looking for a ~20ah battery to be safe. You should be able to get an 18-20ah AGM on Amazon for around $40.

On the charge side, your 50 watt panel might put out 75% of that 50 watts in full direct sun, or 37.5 watts. Charge controller might eat another 20% so you're down to 30 watts. Watts > Amps is 2.5 amps per hour in ideal direct sun.

2.5 amps per hour x 2 hours of direct sun = 5ah recharge per day.

I'd say 50 watts is probably ok to recharge. I'd personally rather have a bigger battery with more storage and then it can take a few extra days to recharge when you're not there.

Also I'm bad at math so be sure to run these through some load calculators to decide on your own.

Brettny
# Posted: 27 Jul 2020 16:55

Nice job breaking it down JHP. I to would go with a bigger battery. That's the luxury of weekend visits. You can use less solar but should have a bigger battery.

I have a 2.9gpm and 40/45psi pump. There not going to pump 2.9gpm at 40psi. Not even close. I wouldnt bother trying to wash anything with the one I own. Just not enough volume or pressure.

Amazon does have a 5gpm pump for about $120. That's the one il be buying if I get a second pump.

Take pictures of your project, we all like pictures.

Nobadays
# Posted: 27 Jul 2020 17:56

I'm with Brett.... get a bigger battery. You will then be able to hook up a USB charger for phones, GPS, rechargeable headlamps, etc.... and an LED light for the shower may be useful.

xtolekbananx
# Posted: 27 Jul 2020 18:13

Thanks for the input. I will probably go with bigger battery and maybe 70 watt solar kit. The price difference in solar is not much. Oh pictures. That probably gonna take a few weeks to months as I have other projects in works now. I almost have everything for the project. Most stuff will be repurposed.

FishHog
# Posted: 27 Jul 2020 21:16 - Edited by: FishHog

If you always have sun your probably good. But solar panels are pretty cheap In the jump from 50 or 70w to more common 100w.

You won’t regret a little more power and battery for a little more money.

Sounds like you have way more water than you will need but a little low on the power side.

Brettny
# Posted: 28 Jul 2020 05:36

A light in the shower is a good idea. I dont think I have used ours with out needed a light and it's just a shower stall in the woods.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.