Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Coffee bean grinders?
naturegal
# Posted: 28 Jul 2020 08:33

I've been searching online for a decent non-electric grinder. The reviews always have comments that say they're only good for 1 to 2 or 2 to 3 cups. I use a 50oz french press and was wondering if anyone can recommend a quality grinder to accommodate for this size? I have solar & propane if this helps (no inverter). (am I grinding many batches over a long period of time?)

ICC
# Posted: 28 Jul 2020 10:56 - Edited by: ICC

I looked at manual grinders but since I have a large solar system with all the power I want I bought a Baratza Virtuoso electric grinder. It has good conical burrs and a wide range of settings. No suggestions for a manual one to try though. Manual gringing lots of coffee will develop muscles.

Nobadays
# Posted: 28 Jul 2020 11:08

We use a manual grinder like THIS but I'm in agreement with ICC, you're gonna get a workout grinding enough coffee for a 50oz press! We do pour overs and I find it a chore grind enough for 2 cups each. Get an inverter... doesn't have to be big, but pure sine wave would be best running an electric grinder. Modified sine wave would likely work but may run hotter and shorten the life of the appliance.

We are fond of the Bodum Bistro, THIS one... a pour over filter holder fits well to grind directly into it.

ICC
# Posted: 28 Jul 2020 13:35

Whatever grinder is selected get one that uses conical burrs and has adjustments for varying degrees of fineness/coarseness.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.