Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Septic pipe drop
doglvr
# Posted: 13 Aug 2020 06:11 - Edited by: doglvr

My Septic tank was installed about 10-12 feet below my cabin foundation on a steep slope about 35 feet away. Code states that the drop needs to be a minimum of 1/4"per foot of drop which obviously isn't a problem. I have also read that too much slope is bad as water will outrun the solids causing plugging issues (I have also read that this is nonsense). Has anyone had any experience or know if this is too much drop? I simply wanted to dig a trench and add 4 inch schedule 40 in a straight line from my cabin to the tank.

Irrigation Guy
# Posted: 13 Aug 2020 06:31

I have always heard the same about too much pitch being a problem. At my home when we replaced the septic the excavator operator set the tank lower than he should have so the waste line from the house has to go on a 45 for about 3-4’. It hasn’t been a problem. If I were you I would just install a couple tee-wyes as clean outs , that way if it does back up you can just run a snake down it.

Aklogcabin
# Posted: 13 Aug 2020 11:55

The theories you stated are correct. 1/4 bubble on a four foot level. I place a tee sweep, a tee with a long arc to one 90 degree tee. So a cleaning tape can easily be used if needed. Screw-in cap on upright just outside the foundation. Try to make sure that you’re cuts are square, I use a chop saw, so they fit into couplers without leaving a gap. And use a knife to clean any burrs that could catch paper. There’s usually a line on the pipe. I trying to keep it up so if another tee is needed it lines up. Make sure you take time to bed the pipe properly. . Don’t let large Or fractured rocks near pipe if possible. I bed by hand before backfilling. Always watching for large rocks. I place a 2” piece of blue board over the pipe if shallower that 2-3’ deep . And always place felt paper over the bedded pipe higher in the middle to keep surface water away. Hope that helps good luck

paulz
# Posted: 13 Aug 2020 12:01 - Edited by: paulz

My holding tank is down this steep hill, 3" ABS pipe, 200' run. Been there several years, never plugged. Regular flush toilet.
0805191736_HDR.jpg
0805191736_HDR.jpg

doglvr
# Posted: 13 Aug 2020 14:04 - Edited by: doglvr

Thanks for the advice and experiences guys. One last question. Thanks AKlogcabin for the advice. You say to put the cleanout right next to the foundation. It drops quickly so I am only going to have a foot or 2 at best. Would that be fine? I can't imagine putting a cleanout out on a 45* or better slope but maybe that is ok???...might look a little odd but vanity is not my concern.

Brettny
# Posted: 13 Aug 2020 15:51

I always try for 1/4in per ft or vertical. Since you cant do 1/4inft go vertical drop then turn to 1/4inft. Post pictures of the site.

doglvr
# Posted: 13 Aug 2020 16:43 - Edited by: doglvr

Here is a picture of the slope from where the tank sits up to the foundation. It doesn't look like there is a that much slope difference from where I am standing because I zoomed into to take a picture of the stone I used for the bank and the recently installed temporary service. I now have power! That is a discussion for another day. It is easily 10-12' from where I am standing. The inlet on the tank is 2 feet below grade. I am going to put a 2'-2 1/2' wall around the perimeter of the slab room enough for a crawl space. I plan on plumbing the main sewer line right up under and through the slab into the crawlspace. Any suggestions of how high I should bring the main line into the crawl space? I was thinking 6 inches would be good but some have suggested to go pretty much flush with the foundation floor. I will have plenty enough space for 1/4" drop per foot for inside plumbing with the use of the crawlspace. Probably leaving more would be better as I can cut it to what ever I need once the rest of the sewer plumbing is installed.
camp_lot_1.JPG
camp_lot_1.JPG
camp_lot_2.JPG
camp_lot_2.JPG

Brettny
# Posted: 14 Aug 2020 06:56

By the looks of the pic it's nearly flat. How much vertical drop between the outlet of the building and the tank inlet?

Bring the pipe into the crawl space as high as you can. If you can get it in a stud bay and covered with insulation that would be good. It's easy to loose heigh later and very very hard to gain pitch after the fact.

doglvr
# Posted: 14 Aug 2020 07:53 - Edited by: doglvr

It is deceiving but as I said the pic is zoomed in and there is at least 10-12 feet difference from the gravel pad to the tank. I am going in tomorrow to get an exact measurement. I know for certain that the grade to the tank to the original spot before I put the gravel pad in was a little over 8'. About 3-4' of gravel was put in on the low spot of the original pad to bring it up to grade for the slab which I am putting in in September. I am running the main line towards the front of the pad where most of the fill was brought in which would estimate it between 10-12 feet.

Aklogcabin
# Posted: 14 Aug 2020 09:46

So approximately 10 to 12 away 10 to 12 foot drop.? Yes I always do a clean out. I would. Starting from slab. Leave 10 inches or so above grade stub in pipe with rubber cap. If too high will get in way. Vertical down to below grade several inches 90 degree elbow out horizontal to clear outside of wall a few inches. The 90 degree long sweep tee is about 2 feet long. With that slope you may have to go to a 22 degree elbow down. Your pipe is probably 10 foot . Perfect . Should fit right in no splice . Then another 22 elbow short stub to tank. Attach with a rubber calder collar w . Get the insert with the collar so it fits tank correctly. So down 10 , 90 to outside of wall. Clean out , 22n a half degree down 10 feet pipe. 22-1/2 degree elbow , stub to tank with rubber collar

doglvr
# Posted: 14 Aug 2020 13:48

"So approximately 10 to 12 away 10 to 12 foot drop.?"
No the 10-12 ' drop is over a 35-40' span. Sorry my last post may have been confusing. The 10-12 foot estimate was the drop from my gravel pad to the tank. Again it is about a 35-40' span. My tank already has an existing rubber boot to attach the pipe into it. Thanks for the great directions. Too bad I wasn't more clear as these aren't for the span that I actually have. Again my bad for the confusion. I will get you the exact measurements tomorrow. I am heading down to camp lot in the morning.

Brettny
# Posted: 15 Aug 2020 09:32

You had me thinking it was 12' away too. Why did they place the tank so far away with a drop like that?

I would think in 40' run with 12' drop your solids can certainly be outrun by the water. Either way put a clean out tee Y in it and make sure it's easy to use. You may never have a problem but the $25 in pvc now it's worth it.

Aklogcabin
# Posted: 16 Aug 2020 08:16

Yes I would put a clean out in . Your 40’ isn’t that much. The reason for the slow graduation of the slope is so the liquid carries the paper and solids without outrunning it. It can get a build up there. And it doesn’t seem like you will be using it much. And only septic at that. I would also try to bury with a minimum of two feet earth cover . Felt paper n blueboard. The blue board makes for a really cozy toilet seat too. Self warming, ohhhh yeahhhh !

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.