Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / off grid natural pool? or pool? anyone done it?
optimistic
# Posted: 9 Sep 2020 17:28

Hey all

I would love to have a natural pool...

But since I am off grid it will be hard to support in terms of pump running 24/7

I am wondering if anyone here tried to keep a natural or regular pool off grid?

I was thinking maybe a body of water and uv in light filter that will be turned on 2 hours prior to using water so it can kill all bacteria in it?

Bruces
# Posted: 9 Sep 2020 18:42

What about a stock tank pool ?should be able to run one off grid with some solar and an efficient pump

skootamattaschmidty
# Posted: 10 Sep 2020 15:54

Although not a big pool, I have an ibc tote that I use as a pool/hot tub. It is about 4x4x4. I covered the outside with half logs and I built a deck around it. I have a small pool pump and filter you can get at Canadian Tire and easily runs off my small solar system. I add chlorine as needed. I also have a small pond pump that is very efficient that is connected to a 100' copper line that is 3/8" diameter. This is run to the woodstove inside the sauna and wrapped around the chimney. I can easily warm my hot tub to 104 degrees. The pond pump is very efficient and I can run it 24/7 off my solar system if I choose to.

optimistic
# Posted: 10 Sep 2020 18:34

excellent. Thank you!

paulz
# Posted: 10 Sep 2020 20:30 - Edited by: paulz

Quoting: skootamattaschmidty
Although not a big pool, I have an ibc tote that I use as a pool/hot tub. It is about 4x4x4

I thought about doing one too. I have an aluminum wood stove that goes in the water. Haven't ever tried it, and it seemed too tight in there with my big rump. So now I have a nice cast iron claw foot tub on the deck. Another fellow told me he puts a propane burner under his. I don't want to burn mine though, it's too nice. But some day I'm going to take a hot cabin soak, somehow.

Also have thought about a pond. The house that was on my property a half century ago had a pond built into the back of the foundation (that is now my shop). I think it was a fish pond. If fills up in winter from the hillside above. It has a drain that I have never plugged, so it's usually dry. Worried about insects, bacteria etc..
1223181041a.jpg
1223181041a.jpg
IMG_8364.JPG
IMG_8364.JPG

kongstrong
# Posted: 11 Jan 2021 08:12 - Edited by: kongstrong

I am thinking about doing it for the kids this summer. It makes sense, they would want to come to the cabin more than they want now. In my opinion it is a beautiful place to spend with your family in the summer, but you know how kids are now, they just want to spend time on their phone... I think that pool would be a good addition, the only thing is that I am not sure how would I keep that thing clean. I am looking into pool cleaners, they say good things about them online, have any of you had any experience with those?

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.