Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Nature / The Birds
Gary O
# Posted: 25 Apr 2011 23:13

OK, I'm lookin' for good sources for bird identification.
We usually hear some really strange bird noises when at camp, and am now quite intrigued as to what they are...other than "yup theres that bird again", or "whazzat?"
I know the difference from chipmunk and squirrel sounds vs bird sounds, and the difference of a mourning dove vs an owl, but there are a lot more sounds down there than the common Robin, swallow, crow, or hawk.
I have hearing in only one ear, so sound could come from anywhere, but it's all on the left for me. Thus sighting the tufted titmouse is a tad difficult.
Another difficulty might be in identifying anything, come to think about it...case in point;
I always enjoy hearing the robins come to life of an early morning, when getting to work. But, one morning, in the wee hours, way before light, as I opened the facility, unlocking back doors, I heard the strangest of birds, and several mornings thereafter.
So I investigated.
Seems to be a smallish one.
Maybe it's a baby bird (birdling? Nestling?).
Sure 'nough, the sound was coming from behind the dumpster.
I grabbed some squirrel food (yeah, our little corporate family feeds the local fauna) and tossed it behind the dumpster.
Next day, did the same.
Following day I made an appearance later in the morning, now light out.

The baby bird noise was full throttle.

Must be really hungry

I approached the 'nest', and stooped to lay the feed closer, being careful not to leave human scent.
No nest?
Turns out I'd been feeding a squeaky natural gas regulator........

There are wonderful sights on the web, but we would rather not take lap tops or phone gadgets out to the cabin.
Anyone know of a good birding book, with sound?

Meanwhile, I've got a regulator that's developed an affinity for corn...............
Tippi Hedren, you have no idea.

hattie
# Posted: 26 Apr 2011 00:30

We have a CD called "Beginners Guide to B.C. Bird Song. I know you aren't in Canada, but maybe there is something available for your area. Maybe do some googling. We also bought a huge book from Readers' Digest that is a bird identifying book.

Gary O
# Posted: 26 Apr 2011 08:27

Thanks hats
Yeah, google I will

I'm sure there's plenty to choose from
Just prospecting for recommendations

Thanks again

bugs
# Posted: 26 Apr 2011 08:36 - Edited by: bugs

This is a good online supplement to bird field guides and song guides. Each entry provides a number of pix of the bird, songs (they can change with geographic region) and other useful info.

http://www.natureinstruct.org/dendroica/

Gary O
# Posted: 26 Apr 2011 08:51

Hey, bugs, that is a great sight!

My all time fave has been the Western Meadowlark, and this sight really brought it.

May just have to bring the laptop to camp.............

hattie
# Posted: 26 Apr 2011 18:50 - Edited by: hattie

bugs: Thanks so much for posting that link. What a fabulous site!!!
I've been listening to a bird in the evenings for years now and never knew what the heck it was. From your site I just learned it is a common nighthawk. *S*

rayyy
# Posted: 6 May 2011 17:46

I love to hear the birds.Over the years,I got pretty good at identifying some by their sounds.

BadgersHollow
# Posted: 6 May 2011 20:28

Gary, you are in primo bird country. Ever drive down to the Silver Lake Road and go through the marsh? Mostly waterfowl this time of year, but in January and Feb - the Klamath Marsh all the way down to the CA border has the largest concentration of wintering bald eagles in the lower 48. They feast on the ducks.

Gary O
# Posted: 6 May 2011 20:49 - Edited by: Gary O

Quoting: BadgersHollow
. Ever drive down to the Silver Lake Road and go through the marsh?

OOOOH, yeah.
Tons of water fowl
Never seen so many Pelicans (nearer K Falls, not Silver lake)
Haven't seen large consentrations of bald eagles, but have found a fascination with our neighbors, the turkey vultures. They do love road kill deer........

BadgersHollow
# Posted: 6 May 2011 21:14

I think my wife counted 15 baldies sitting together one trip - fighting over a murdered grebe.

BadgersHollow
# Posted: 8 May 2011 12:52

Birds of Oregon Field Guide (Book)

Gary O
# Posted: 25 Aug 2015 23:50

Well, I'm getting an education.

A new acquaintance, rapidly becoming a good friend, has shown me the way.

Him and his bride were visiting our place and, knowing he was very much into birds, I quizzed him on one that has fascinated me of late.

'Oh, that's probably a nuthatch'

Sure 'nough.
The red breasted nuthatch.

These little guys have been visiting our piece of pumice for several days.
They seem to often come in twos and threes, flitting from limb to limb, sometimes even dive bombing my head (most times this happens when I stroll out of a morning with an acute case of bedhead).

They are so cute...and personable.

When I see 'em I just want to break into song 'Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah Zip-A-Dee-yay'

Funny, they have this distinct little monosyllable beep, or high honk.

So now, now when I hear that, I don't go 'whazzat?'
It's just my new friends, my new favorite feathered friends.

And

I put my hat on

NorthRick
# Posted: 26 Aug 2015 18:01

Ha! we have a lot of those around here. Once during the spring mating season, two males were in a tiff and I was on the porch watching. They were so engrossed in each other that one landed on my shoulder while scolding the other. Up until he realized there was a human eyeball looking at him from 3" away! They both decided to take it elsewhere after that.

Gary O
# Posted: 27 Aug 2015 01:31

Quoting: NorthRick
They were so engrossed in each other that one landed on my shoulder while scolding the other.

Wonderful

Truly wonderful

creeky
# Posted: 27 Aug 2015 08:58

I had a neat and funny moment yesterday morning. I'm having my morning coffee and outside the studio I can hear a flock of birds just a whoopin' it up. And then there's scratching going on. Finally there's these grey and white birds (eastern Kingbirds? flycatchers?) acting goofy. Just zipping all around and bashing into stuff, darting in a flurry of wings here and there. Sometimes bumping into each other.

Course I'm like what the heck and I gotta go outside and see what's going on.

I found this wasp nest on the side of the studio. Didn't notice it being built. They tore the bottom out and I guess were chasing the emerging wasps. Thx birds!

Btw. For those of you with android phones. the Audobon Bird App is a great tool for birders.

And if you want a good reliable web source for birds, the Cornell Ornithology Lab has this site. It's my go to. Good pics, good info, sounds. And all easy to navigate.

allaboutbirds.org
waspnest.jpg
waspnest.jpg

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.