Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Nature / Killing Ivy
JoshR77
# Posted: 8 Feb 2021 02:41

Hi all

Quick question please - is there an easy way to get rid of ivy and stop it coming back again? Perhaps poisonURL...?

I've got two big patches, one on my shed with about 100 stalks, and one on my apple tree. For the apple tree, I've stripped all the ivy off as I high as I can reach and cut through all the big stems, but the foliage higher up the tree (which I can't pull off as it's partially in a hedge and all out of reach) doesn't seem to be dying off. (I fear the small rootlets on the remaning foliage must be enough to keep it alive...) For the shed, I've cut back the worst of the foliage, but there are so many stalks in so many locations that I don't seem to be able to get them all.

Is there anything I can inject into the stems or something that will spread through the plant and kill off the whole lot, and stop it growing back?

And, on another note, why does ivy grow so much better than anything that I'm actually trying to grow?!

Thanks in advance.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 8 Feb 2021 08:06

Lilly Miller makes a blackberry/brush killer, it needs to be sprayed on leaves to to work well, but on the stems will probably work too. I have used it with great results.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.