Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Nature / Bear visit
Eddy G
# Posted: 6 May 2021 21:17

Second time this happened this month.
Because I was to stupid to take the feeder down before we left the last time.
Funny thing is we have 3 bird feeders on poles like this and its the only one they or it likes to play with.
IMG_1891_1.jpg
IMG_1891_1.jpg
IMG_1894.jpg
IMG_1894.jpg

FishHog
# Posted: 7 May 2021 08:33

Bird feeders are great bear attractions
I won’t allow them at my cottage

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 7 May 2021 08:34

They are hungry when they come out of hibernation and all summer, try to fatten up for winter, so their life consist of a search for food. Thats it.

Fill pole center with concrete, tap it to get air out, then it wont collapse and fold over.

Here is my bear looking for food.
cute little guy
cute little guy

Eddy G
# Posted: 7 May 2021 15:29

Great tip Toyota, thanks

moneypitfeeder
# Posted: 8 May 2021 19:20

You might have good luck with a hybrid of Toyota's advice mixed with this: we have a black iron pipe (way overkill at 2" could be much narrower) and we attached a threaded coupling to our bird house and another to a solar patio light so that we can screw on a bird house in the spring or switch to a light when nesting is over. But you could easily switch from a light to a bird feeder instead. With Toyota's advice to fill with concrete, they might be even more impervious.

Eddy G
# Posted: 8 May 2021 22:53

My other two poles/houses are exactly that
3BED9921794E4CA28.jpeg
3BED9921794E4CA28.jpeg

justincasei812
# Posted: 10 May 2021 13:58

Families cabin in Mich. Got tired of replacing broken bird feeders if they were forgotten over night.
Bear under the bird feeders
Bear under the bird feeders

deercula
# Posted: 11 May 2021 15:30

https://youtu.be/HxPCL3YtIWI

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.