Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Nature / Infested Wood grub Larvae
doglvr
# Posted: 7 Jun 2021 07:20

I have several spruce and hemlock trees that I cut down last year to clear my lot for a small cabin that I am building. Since I decided to not use them other than camp firewood I left the bark on them. After debarking a few, they are all infested with segmented wood grub larvae. I decided to use some of the logs for loft joists but I was wondering if putting them in my cabin would be a problem. Can they be treated with an insecticide? They have bore several holes in some logs, just a few trails and a few holes in others. Would these be fine to use and what product would you recommend to get rid of them?

Nobadays
# Posted: 7 Jun 2021 08:40

Though i don't know your particular bug... We used to find larvae as we peeled lodgepole pines for log building. Most of these larvae are just under the bark and maybe bore into the softer cambium layer. Once peeled or milled the bugs posed no threat to the logs/lumber.

doglvr
# Posted: 7 Jun 2021 09:13

That's good news! My neighbors thought if I didn't treat them and put them up in the cabin it would cause infestation in the cabin or destruction in the log. We our in a colder climate so I can't imagine them making it through the winter months. My thought was that they would die during these cold months as the cabin would not be heated. I was going to just go with it and pay no attention to a few holes that they have bore in the logs. Any other suggestions or experiences would be appreciated.

ICC
# Posted: 7 Jun 2021 09:47

A borate wood treatment. There are a few. Tim-bor is one.

FishHog
# Posted: 7 Jun 2021 09:52 - Edited by: FishHog

Most larvae morph into a moth. They won’t live in the wood indefinitely

I wouldn’t worry about it. I find larvae in the dead red pine I’ve cut for firewood. They do survive the cold as so I’ve cut some in the early spring and found live ones. But I don’t think you will have any issues with wood or an infestation

Brettny
# Posted: 8 Jun 2021 07:22

I'm not sure where your located but in my area you cant cut soft woods down and let them sit for a year. They get bugs. You have a small window to cut them into boards or remove the bark and get them drying

With out pics I cant say either way. Small holes are prob fine and you can treat them for insects. Every few years when I'm inspecting my stickered lumber stacks I find carpenter ants. I use a spray from the big box store. It kills them all. Never tried borate though.

If your useing them in a cabin re cut the ends with a clean cut and paint the ends heavily so you get less end checking. I would also leave the logs 2ft longer than you actualy need. It may seam like a waste but 2ft of waste is alot better than chucking a whole board because it checked bad.

doglvr
# Posted: 8 Jun 2021 08:37 - Edited by: doglvr

Thanks guys. I think I will not worry too much about them. I may spray them down with borate just to be safe.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.