Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Nature / Attracting bats
optimistic
# Posted: 4 Aug 2021 12:51

I want to attract some bats to my land.. we have a ton of mosquitoes and deer fly.

Anyone had any luck doing so?

I am in upstate NY

DaveBell
# Posted: 4 Aug 2021 18:55

https://www.worldbirds.org/how-to-attract-bats/

In addition to the link, they need some open area. I have about an acre open and we watch the bats come out at dusk and zoom around eating bugs. Make sure your bat house is hung in a place where you won't mind a ton of bat poop, just in case it becomes a popular hang out. The bat poop can be added to you garden soil. The bat house should be located on the sunny side of a tree so it warms up in winter sun.

DaveBell
# Posted: 4 Aug 2021 19:01

Look for bat house plans on the internet (google/images) if you want to make your own. Make sure the interior is really rough so they can crawl up and cling to it. A smooth inside will house no bats. I took a hand saw and scored all inside pieces 1/4" spacing about 1/16" deep.

optimistic
# Posted: 5 Aug 2021 14:55

Great tips. Thank you. Will do!

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.