Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Nature / 12 ft of snow forecast for Chugach Mountains, Alaska
Tim_Ohio
# Posted: 1 Nov 2021 08:46

Anyone have a cabin in Chugach Mountains, Alaska?

I see you are in for up to 12 feet of snow. That's just unbelievable to use down here in Ohio.

If you do have a cabin there, best of luck and stay safe.

Tim_Ohio

snobdds
# Posted: 1 Nov 2021 11:43

I went Heli snowboarding in the Chugach mountains about 15 years ago. The snow there is unlike anything I have ever witnessed. It snowed for a week straight, leaving about 12 feet on the high peaks. The snow has a pipeline of moisture coming in from the gulf of Alaska. The snow was really wet. The guide said we need to let the weather break and give the sun and wind time to dry out the snow. I remember telling him, it just snowed 12 feet, lets go. Well the wind came up and it formed spires on all the cornices.

The snow went from wet to dry, but the coverage was perfect and you could really stick to the crazy vertical spires. It was so good, so good.

I know that area is accustomed to large snowfalls so it should be good.

Alaskajohn
# Posted: 1 Nov 2021 12:58 - Edited by: Alaskajohn

I am one mountain range north of the Chugach, with a couple mile wide valley all that is separating us. The snow is coming down wet and at a fast accumulating rate. I just need to stay in front of this. I have a large Bercomac snowblower that I will be using every few hours until this stops. I have a half mile long driveway that I need to keep clear.

NorthRick
# Posted: 1 Nov 2021 17:18

I know it didn't snow that much on the 2 mountain passes (Turnagain and Thompson) with a road. It probably snowed a lot more higher up but no one has a cabin up that high.

Alaskajohn
# Posted: 2 Nov 2021 00:22

We might get 6-8 inches by my guess, but it’s good for nothing wet snow. I was expecting more, but that’s okay.

WILL1E
# Posted: 2 Nov 2021 08:24

Let's see some pictures fellas!!

Alaskajohn
# Posted: 2 Nov 2021 12:03

So far a nothing burger with only about 5-6 inches of that wet snow. We might get a few more inches.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.