Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Nature / Our son's first moose
Aklogcabin
# Posted: 6 Dec 2021 12:55

Our cabin serves as a base for me n my family, friends. Mostly just me. To go moose hunting out of. One of my most favorite things in life to do. And going out with my family is kinda special. Especially when they can finally harvest their first moose. I came across some new old pictures of our son's first moose. So I thought I'd share.
I can remember this hunt all over again. And when that 1400 pound near 8' tall bull moose steped out of the black spruce. And I instantly knew he was legal. Over 50" wide or at least 3 brow tines on one side. A few hundred yards out. Then he steps back into the woods.
He didn't get big without good instincts.
I'll put some pictures up . I can't remember if I went through the story but probably so won't go over again unless you all want. Know I've remembered that moment in time many times.
And somehow it wasn't much work at all. It was all an absolute blast. All the way to making up sausages together for the freezer. And sharing stories when we eat brats off the grill.
Hey its all good right
Loaded in our freight canoe
Loaded in our freight canoe
On the meat pole smudge fires burning mgt time
On the meat pole smudge fires burning mgt time
Non typical
Non typical
58" non typical
58" non typical

FishHog
# Posted: 6 Dec 2021 16:47

excellent, nice character to that rack.
What are you spraying the meat with in the first pic? Assume something to keep the bugs away?

NorthRick
# Posted: 6 Dec 2021 18:41

Probably citric acid. Keeps the flies off and retards spoiling if it is warm out.

Aklogcabin
# Posted: 7 Dec 2021 10:32 - Edited by: Aklogcabin

Yes citric acic to keep the blow flies off. You can buy 5# bags of it off net or in food stores. Or but little packets at the sporting goods store. They are about the same price. Comes as a white powder. Mixed with water. I had some lemon juice a friend left that I used with the powder n it seemed to help a bit more. So yes dried citric acid. If you hunt n it's warm enough for flies n those big bugger blow flies are viscious I would recommend it.
And yes it's pretty unique. It looks like it split n folded the back half around n grew like that. But maybe just grew like that. It is very big around the base.
The antlers will always be a reminder of the hunt. And to me n my son , proudly displaying them honors the moose. They will be mounted on a wafer cut off the bottom of a huge spruce that used to stand in front of the cabin. Over 200 years old. The spruce bark beetles got it. I'm sure this old bull walked past that tree many times. But it would not have happened without the entire hunt.
We were blessed to be able to harvest a moose to feed our family. This was the top priority

FishHog
# Posted: 7 Dec 2021 15:36

good info, thanks. Might have to pick some up for those mild hunts.

paulz
# Posted: 8 Dec 2021 10:39

Don't think I've ever eaten moose. How is it? Mooseburgers?

FishHog
# Posted: 8 Dec 2021 14:52

Quoting: paulz
Don't think I've ever eaten moose. How is it? Mooseburgers?

One of the best things going in my books. Almost as good as squirrel, but a little more meat.

gcrank1
# Posted: 8 Dec 2021 16:34

Imo, Never pass up an offer of moose-meat
Just make sure they dont over-cook it

Aklogcabin
# Posted: 9 Dec 2021 10:05

Moose meat is very lean. So we add pork fat to make burger. Or bacon for bacon burgers. Bacon burgers on a BBQ grill are fan tas tic !
It doesn't taste as gamey as deer. And being big is nice fills the freezer up fast.
What the pictures don't show is that now that it's hanging, the next day is getting it 2 miles south down to the lake so we can get it on a bush plane to fly out. Took 3 loads on this big boy. 1 with just meat. We had to have our son n his buddy there to help unload. Another trip for 2 hunters n more meat. And the antlers went out last. They would not fit inside the airplane so had to be strapped to the floats. We hung them in a tree at the lake for a few days while we processed the meat. Then my beautiful wife n me flew out for another week or so. And the pilot brought them back to my truck. He can't fly with passengers and stuff strapped to the outside of his plane.
I also preserves well. We are just finishing off some burger from a couple years back. We wrap everything in grocery store produce bags first them freezer paper. This way blood doesn't leak and its a good vapor barrier to protect against freezer burning.
I'm sure glad we have a cabin to base from, helps me get out more

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.