Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Nature / Porcupine Damage???
toddheyn
# Posted: 26 May 2011 22:05

We just returned to our cabin (White Birch Acres) and have severe damage from Porcupines. The last time we were here was over Easter and the damage was bad but not as bad as it is now. They chewed right through to the insulation in a couple spots.

Last time we were up, I eliminated two of the spiny bastards but there are still more around.

Our cabin is sheathed in stained T1-11. Any ideas on what we can do to discourage the damage they are causing? I am not opposed to elimination the population one by one but that is not addressing the core of the issue.

Any ideas will be appreciated.

naturelover66
# Posted: 26 May 2011 23:10

Ive read a good porcupine deterrant is Fox urine which you can buy at any tractor supply.
This is their natural predator and a " Fear Based" deterrant...... no killing necessary if you sprinkle it around the cabin .

Good Luck !!!

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 27 May 2011 07:03

a .22, a 22 mag or a .410 is a great deterrant............:-)

toddheyn
# Posted: 27 May 2011 07:12

Last night was a heck of a night. Three Porcupines are now contemplating if they should have chosen a different place for their final supper.

My Mossburg is a great deterrant to those three. Its the infinate number of them still in the woods that has me worried.

When we head into town, I will pick up some fox urine to try.

Any other ideas?

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.