Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Nature / Carpenter Ants
Hick
# Posted: 13 Jun 2011 21:58

Any one have a problem with Carpenter Ants? My wife and I were at the cabin this past weekend and had ants inside our cabin. What is the best way to kill these things. It has to be safe for our pets too.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

bobrok
# Posted: 15 Jun 2011 11:16

We had a horrendous problem with them in our house and our camp. We tried everything 8-(

There are a lot of chemicals you can purchase, some only through a licensed exterminator, but really, the only way you will ever get rid of them is to find the nest and remove the queen.

Follow the ant trails. If you can induce them to take something effective into the nest it will eventually work to eliminate them.

Fortunately for us we were able to locate the exact point of attack in both cases. Carpenter ants will drop from trees onto your building or tunnel their way straight through a wall stud lengthwise and end up in the attic. In our house we isolated the exact ceiling rafter that contained the nest and the exterminator super-soaked it with enough chemicals to do the job. In the case of our camp I actually removed the offending piece of lumber and replaced it.

Check surrounding trees for ant infestation. They will do the same thing to trees as your house. I've taken down trees that were so hollow inside from ant tunnels you'd wonder how they stood erect so many years. If you find ants in nearby trees they will be in your house also. Remove the trees if you have to or at least any limbs overhanging your camp.

We had ants for 15 years until we did all of this. We have now been ant free for 15+ years.

Hick
# Posted: 16 Jun 2011 00:15

Thanks for your advice. It sounds like my wife and I have some work to do. We built our cabin on a concrete slab with metal siding and roof. I thought this would take care of most of the problems (rodent and insects). We did put some chemicals down around the outside of the cabin last weekend.

I really hope they don't have a nest yet inside. My wife will never sleep the same if they do.

Thanks again for your help

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.