Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Nature / Grasshoppers eating screens
Ann
# Posted: 14 Sep 2011 14:32

Anyone have a solution to grasshoppers eating holes in window and door screens? It's hard to believe but it's true. See link below. They have eaten several holes in my screendoor and a window screen.

http://www.extension.iastate.edu/newsrel/1998/oct98/oct9801.html

CabinBuilder
Admin
# Posted: 14 Sep 2011 16:09

Not sure how to prevent this (spray screen with something grasshoppers don't like?), but if it will come to replacing the screen, there are ones made from metal wire/mesh (instead of plastic).

Ann
# Posted: 15 Sep 2011 15:39

There is actually a YouTube video of one supposedly eating a metal screen. But I think metal would probably deter at least some of them. I will have to try some different sprays and see if any of them work as a grasshopper repellent.

In the mid-Atlantic states, the now-annual onslaught of stink bugs is gearing up, so I'm sure that will be a much bigger challenge than grasshoppers.

In the worst cases, thousands of stink bugs cluster on siding and windows, trying to get inside. I saw this last year on my brother's deer stand. I'm making soda bottle traps and I have some spray ready to go, that is supposedly effective if re-applied every 2-3 weeks during the invasion.

goodsgardensheds
# Posted: 30 Nov 2011 06:01

I would like to say, In the fall after grasshoppers have laid their eggs, there are reports that they seem to go crazy while they wait for the winter freeze to kill them. There are reports of their eating plastic window screens and latex paint on the sides of homes

ozarkhunter
# Posted: 30 Nov 2011 22:45

we spray ours once a year with off or some other insect repealent
dont seem to have trouble with grass hoppers but without spraying the moths will eat the fabric screens

TomChum
# Posted: 2 Dec 2011 00:34 - Edited by: TomChum

Quoting: Ann
There is actually a YouTube video of one supposedly eating a metal screen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lh-Qf5lguXM

That's not a metal screen, it doesn't have the warp of woven wire screen. Also you can see the fuzz on the chewed ends. Still suprising to see though!

"Also, wait until the population declines to replace your plastic window screens with metal screens, at least around the ground level. And finally, show some pity. You too will be old someday and may engage in behaviors that others find hard to explain."

I think this is already happening ;-)

Martian
# Posted: 2 Dec 2011 06:07

If you do decide to replace the fabric screen with metal screening, cutting spacers to hold the frame sides apart while you roll in the spline is a good idea. Otherwise, you might bow the frame since the wire mesh doesn't stretch.

Tom

neb
# Posted: 31 Dec 2011 22:22 - Edited by: neb

Ann

Not sure if this will work with our issue but I would try dish washing soap. I used to raise veggies for a road side market. I would get eaten up by grasshoppers in the squash pacth. I didn't want to use chemical so I started researching it. They said to use dish washing soap. Try mixing soap and water in a sprayer and spray it on where they are bothering you. I will tell you it works like no other on crops. It will turn them white in color but they will not eat the greens. The grasshoppers would stay on the outside of the patch and eat grass. The other thing in gardening you leave the grass high out from the garden they will eat on that and will help the garden. Like I said it may not work in your application and situation.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.