Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Nature / Pine beetle defense?
Montanan
# Posted: 26 Sep 2011 16:55

Perhaps there has been a thread on this before, but I don't see it. I am wondering if anyone has experience managing their property while dealing with pine beetle infestation...perhaps those in BC or CO?? Our 32 acres is located in an area with extensive beetle kill problems- it is almost entirely lodgepole pine. We are surrounded by National Forest and much of it is now totally dead. So far, there is little evidence of beetle kill directly on our property but we want to do what we can to ensure we're not left naked and barren. Of most concern to us is that our privacy from the nearby highway is provided by our trees. If we lose those, it will definitely compromise the cabin experience.

So, we plan to diversify by planting other (native) species like aspen. But we'd also like to do something to protect the area between the cabin and the highway. Does anyone have experience with treating trees? Does anyone know anything about the effectiveness of those pheromone packets that you nail to the trees to trick the beetles into thinking the tree is already occupied? We have noticed that the Forest Service uses them around their mountain cabins and are thinking of trying it. It's not a cheap investment though (we found a "deal" on 50 for $300.) What about WHEN to treat the trees?

Thanks!

bugs
# Posted: 26 Sep 2011 17:13

Hi Montanan

I was at some entomological meetings a while back and there was a paper given regarding the "vaccination" of trees against the beetle/ fungus. I think there is a direct injection method (with a syringe) and a watering method (roots take up the chemical). Not sure if it has progressed beyond the experimental stage or not. The prelim results were promising for small scale protection.

Maybe have a chat with a forest worker to see how the pheromone deterrents are working.

MtnDon
# Posted: 26 Sep 2011 18:32

One thing you can do that helps the trees in many ways is to make certain you do not have too many trees. Over population leads to stress and that makes the tree have a more difficult time fighting back. See if you can haver a state forester look at your tree density. The number of trees per acre varies with the basal area of the trees. The bigger the trees, the fewer. Most every Nat Forest in the west is over populated unless fire or thinning has recently occurred.

We're almost where we want to be with our trees but still have a ways to go.

Also, when cutting trees dispose of the slash and the wood quickly. The pine beetles love freshly cut logs and slash. They easily get under the bark and lay eggs. Slash should be burned or chipped quickly. Logs should be debarked if they are to be saved. Firewood should be covered in 6 mil plastic with the edges buried to prevent any air movement within the pile. Leave bake for 90 days or longer and beetle eggs/larvae will all die. Once the wood is a year old and dried the pine bark beetles leave the wood alone.

dstraate
# Posted: 27 Sep 2011 10:01

I think the aspens are a good idea as well. They grow quickly and screen undesirable views well. I think you'd do well to start a small border near your cabin now to screen the roadway. Since Aspens colonize from root tubers, if the worst happens and your lodgepoles die, you'll already have a jumpstart on the reforestation process.

Good luck with this. I drove through Dillon after a climbing trip this summer and from a forest standpoint, found the devestation to be every bit as dramatic as the Las Conchas burn we had down here. Entire mountains were dead. I understand that it's a natural process, but it's still sad to see the landscape you love change so dramatically.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.