Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Nature / Does anyone ice fish at their cabin
bhebby
# Posted: 23 Jan 2012 12:40

Just wondering if anyone else ice fishes at their place and would want to share stories about it. Its a great way to spend a weekend and put some food on the table.

justincasei812
# Posted: 23 Jan 2012 12:46

I do. Actually headed up there this coming weekend to do a little Ice fishing. Always good to go up to the cabin and even better to get out and enjoy the winter outside.

Just
# Posted: 23 Jan 2012 13:08 - Edited by: Just

normaly i fish often all winter , however we have no ice this winter as of yet ..not sure what i am going to eat in the fish department this year. our river that runs beside my camp is about 8ft deep and usualy has lots of walleyes and the odd pike . not much to tell i catchem i eatem ...
walleye
walleye

dstraate
# Posted: 23 Jan 2012 16:48

Back when I was in high school, we used to play Tip Up Football. It was pretty simple really, set a row of tipups with the guys, sit in the tent, and when that flag went off, it was a mad dash to get there first. Anything went. Tackling, tripping, planting a shoulder into the next guy, whatever. It was over when a guy got two hands on the tip up, but I remember some mad scrums with guys sliding 10 feet to get in the pile.

I also remember being so close I could taste it, only to be tripped from behind and end up tasting nothing but snow.

Not the most effective means of catching fish, but great times.

bhebby
# Posted: 23 Jan 2012 19:39

Where are you Just? Thats awesome we have plenty of pike but walleye are fairly elusive in NY there are some spots that as a result of stocking they are plentiful but not like the midwest. Everytime we get 4" of ice it hits 40-50 degrees and it sets us back.

dstraate - thats is a new one and I will propose that next time we go out, however I am not as nimble as I used to be, so I think a good defense will be my best offense.

Good to hear people are ice fishing at their cabins. I enjoy the hunting and fishing aspect of my cabin most(thats why I built it to be closer to it) Its much better waking up and walking right out to hunt or fish.

Just
# Posted: 23 Jan 2012 20:06

detroit river lake st clair area southern ontario

neb
# Posted: 23 Jan 2012 20:09

I could but haven't done it yet. I have great summer fishing and will do some of that this year.

larry
# Posted: 23 Jan 2012 22:39

Quoting: Just
detroit river lake st clair area southern ontario

not this year,not much ice on the lake this year. crazy weather.
st. clair walleye
st. clair walleye

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 23 Jan 2012 23:35

i have only been ice fishing once up in maine---caught some black crappie....that was a fun day!!!!!

it was 60's deg here today in the south--rained for 4 days straight- on my way home from the local store a rain frog hopped across the road in front of me---i looked at the temp on the truck and it was 60 deg at 6pm--very strange weather in january.

Montanagirl
# Posted: 24 Jan 2012 11:09

Checked on the cabin Sunday and the lake has frozen over . . .one family out testing their luck
Picture_010.jpg
Picture_010.jpg

fpw
# Posted: 24 Jan 2012 15:12

Only in the winter.

5 gallon bucket for a seat, lake to myself...quite peaceful.

And, beer. That helps too!
Ice1.jpg
Ice1.jpg
Ice.jpg
Ice.jpg

bhebby
# Posted: 24 Jan 2012 21:18

Awesome pictures there is nothing like waiting for a tip up flag to go up,and running after it and pulling up a fish for dinner. Making a fire in the snow on the shore to stay warm.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.