Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Nature / Crazy Geese
rayyy
# Posted: 28 Feb 2012 18:14

When I was a kid growing up here in the North-East,The geese all flew south for the winter and back again in the spring but these days they stick around all winter long.They seem to be loosing their instints to head south in the fall.

TomChum
# Posted: 28 Feb 2012 19:04 - Edited by: TomChum

When the geese were kids the city folks would come out to their cabins on the weekends in the summer but now they hang around for months at a time even in the dead of winter.

And then, get this all the folks in their comfortable city hoes ENVY those who are out there roughing it. sheesh!

Just
# Posted: 28 Feb 2012 19:12

OK tom thats twice this week.

Ray we have both geese and giant swans they say ir's the global warming thing.if your place is neer the water they can make the yard unusable.never feed them once they think they are at home it's no longer yours...

trollbridge
# Posted: 28 Feb 2012 19:37

We live near a river so we have lots of geese...but only since they must have changed their flight plan- 'cause even about 5 years ago we never saw a single one! I like hearing them and seeing them-but they aren't in our yard pooping. Anyways, Honk Honk!

hattie
# Posted: 28 Feb 2012 22:56

No geese here in the winter. Come spring we will hear them coming back. One of my FAVOURITE sounds in the spring!! *S*

Did any of you see the film "Father Goose" or read the book? It is about a man (Bill Lishman) who builds an ultralight. He actually taught the geese on his property how to fly south for the winter by following him in his homebuilt plane. It was an amazing story.

naturelover66
# Posted: 28 Feb 2012 23:46

Is that the movie "fly.away home " ?... I love that movie.

hattie
# Posted: 29 Feb 2012 01:07

Quoting: naturelover66
Is that the movie "fly.away home

Yes it is. The book was the true story - "Fly Away Home" was based on the true story but had been changed quite a bit.

trollbridge
# Posted: 29 Feb 2012 15:36 - Edited by: trollbridge

Hattie...wondering....do the robins come as far north as you? They are always our official sign of spring here. We know that when we see our first big fat robin lookin for worms that spring is officially, officially here.............................finally!

rayyy
# Posted: 29 Feb 2012 16:42

I'm starting to believe this global warming thing.This has been the wackiest winter I ever seen.(I know,I know),better shut my mouth,March will blast in here with revenge!lol.The local birds are singing their springtime calls which is pleasant to hear.The true sound of spring is when the little peeper frogs climb out of hibernation and peep at night(Sorta sound like crickets).

hattie
# Posted: 29 Feb 2012 17:25

Quoting: trollbridge
Hattie...wondering....do the robins come as far north as you?

Oh yes. We get lots of robins here. None yet though. It is still FREEZING out there. brrrrrrrr......But we planted some more seeds in the greenhouse yesterday. The peas, lettuce, spinach, carrots, radishes and beans are all up from our planting a few weeks ago. I just transplanted the basil from the propagator into a pot on my windowsill in the bedroom. Looks like our key lime tree survived its first winter in the greenhouse too. Come on spring.....

trollbridge
# Posted: 29 Feb 2012 17:32 - Edited by: trollbridge

Quoting: rayyy
The true sound of spring is when the little peeper frogs climb out of hibernation and peep at night(Sorta sound like crickets)

For us it is the toads...big ones (one time my daughter was running around barefoot at night and stepped on one and it popped!...gross little story but true!) anyways their mating calls are cool.

Hattie-----no robins for us yet...tooo early. We just got a dumping of extremely wet snow----about 8 inches overnight. The kids had a snow day. Pretty, but a little too late to make me all that happy!!!

neb
# Posted: 29 Feb 2012 21:20

Robins are here in Mt. I was out to ranch last week and the robins hwere all over in the heavy tree area's.

trollbridge
# Posted: 29 Feb 2012 23:46

Don't ya feel sorry for them when they arrive and then one more blast of winter comes! Brrrrrrr...

trollbridge
# Posted: 7 Mar 2012 22:54

WOW...looked out my bedroom window today and there in the birdbath (full of water from melted snow!) was a big fat robin splashing around! I was really surprised! It seems way too early to me, but what do I know?

exsailor
# Posted: 9 Mar 2012 12:34

Part of the geese problem is goslings born in an area are imprinted to return to that area for breeding. If the weather is mild enough that they don't have to migrate, then there is no reason to ever leave thier breeding ground. As a result the population grows and grows. Goslings follow thier parents leave to learn the migration route, which was the purpose of the utralight flight in the movie. Never feed teh critters they are worse than strays, once they find a "mark" they never leave.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.