Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Nature / Critters and furry pests
_powellken_
# Posted: 27 May 2009 10:08

My grandfather build a rustic log cabin in the late 70's. My family and I are trying to get it in good repair for future generations. The location is in the Sierra Nevadas at an elevation of 8500 feet and is buried under 7-12 feet of snow through out the winter (we still get up there with snowmobiles).
Critters and furry pest seem to be the main problem. Any ideas on how to keep them out? I have thought of using Stucco mesh and lining the inside of the walls so it is unseen. The mesh is fairly thick and has openings less than a quarter inch by quarter inch.

islandguy
# Posted: 27 May 2009 13:11

There has been some discussion on pests. I once left my trailer for 3 months with the power cord on the ground, then came back to find more than 10 mice had taken up residence, by climbing up the cord, and into the trailer, where there was tons of food. The mess was unbelievable. Mesh might help, but 1/4" will still allow some pests to enter. Try to block any obvious openings, like where pipes enter. NEVER leave any food of any kind that they can access, and try to avoid any clutter. You could try traps or poison, but from a humane perspective, making your place less inviting and hard to access is far better than killing them after entry. To a certain extent, you may have to share a little space with the occasional visitor, and maybe trap and release. Good luck.

Anonymous
# Posted: 27 May 2009 19:26

Thanks for the reply. I plan on using the mesh around any openings and then using mortar or other such fillers to discourage any uninvited guests. I did some research on rats, mice, squirrels and found out they are extremely talented. They can climb almost anything, and leap great distances not to mention the ability to chew through steel wires. I am hoping the thickness of the mesh and doubling it up in corners and edges will eliminate any chewing through. Bugs and such don't do the damage of the larger rodents. What type of pests can get through 1/4 inch by 1/4 inch holes besides bugs?

cabinbasics
# Posted: 27 May 2009 19:30

A friend once had a momma raccoon move in and have babies in her attack of her ranch home. For a couple weeks she did not know what to do. We put a pan of ammonia up there and the whole family moved out the first night.

Vince P
# Posted: 27 May 2009 20:54

All cabins have mice. And while I don't mind them, arriving at my cabin to find piles of mouse feces in my bed just wasn't cool. The process of sealing every little hole they could get in, was trial and error for me. Pay special attention to areas around the bottom of the roof/soffit. These areas are generally built with some open spaces to vent the inside.
Vince

Anonymous
# Posted: 29 May 2009 18:42

Thanks for the tips I appreciate every one of them

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 13 Oct 2010 21:14

Quoting: Vince P
All cabins have mice. And while I don't mind them, arriving at my cabin to find piles of mouse feces in my bed just wasn't cool.

Not to mention, the possibility of contracting "Huntavirus" which is a serious and deadly issue from just breathing mouse pee etc.

When I build mine, I went witht he full footing/stemwall and no outside access door, I have my crawlspace access inside. I have paid close attention to tightness, my bird block vents had the heavy metal mesh, but I aded the fine screen like on a screen door and have had no problem with critters or bugs getting inside. We have these brown moths that seems to get in anywhere. But I have them at bay. I sealed all crevisies with sealer before painting.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.